September 7, 2010 in Education (E)
[prMac.com] Redmond, Washington - Sean Berry is pleased today to announce Algebra Touch 1.1 for iOS, an update to his educational app for learning and practicing algebra. Particular attention has been given to the user interface, making usage so intuitive that solving math problems seems more like a game than an academic exercise. The app features: 17 interactive lesson topics, interactive practice problems, and the ability to create unlimited new problems. All actions and responses are touch activated and animated. Users may anonymously volunteer data collected by Algebra Touch 1.1 for use by a group of university professors studying how people solve problems using the app.
People are inherently curious, and derive pleasure and satisfaction from mastering new skills and knowledge. Algebra Touch enables the excitement of learning through simplified, interactive, programmed instruction, and employment of styling and functionality usually reserved for electronic gaming. The principles and problem solving capabilities of algebra are, in themselves, fascinating. By simply facilitating the process of discovery, Algebra Touch makes math fun.
On launch in landscape orientation, the app displays in large white numerals on a black radial gradient "3+5." Beneath is a gray band with the instruction "Tap the + to add 3 and 5." Tapping the plus sign runs an animation where the numerals are reduced in opacity, the plus sign disappears, and the "3" and "5" move toward each other with only an "8" remaining onscreen. The instruction is accompanied by a "Show Me" button, which will automatically demonstrate the app's method of executing operations by tapping the operator. Immediately, positive reinforcement and further explication appears "Very good! Adding is a form of 'simplifying" - that is, making the expression more simple and less complicated."
* Appropriate for learning or reviewing of algebra
* For students of any age or gender
* Enjoy the wonderful conceptual leaps of algebra, without the tedium of traditional methods
* Drag to rearrange, tap to simplify, and draw lines to eliminate identical terms
* Easily switch between lessons and randomly generated practice problems
* Users may create their own problems or edit current ones
* Topics include: Simplification, Like Terms, Commutativity, and Order of Operations
* Additional topics: Factorization, Prime Numbers, Elimination, and Isolation
* Advanced topics: Variables, and Solving Equations
* Features external display support with optional 30-pin, external display cable
* Version 1.1 includes universal support for all iOS devices
* Version 1.1 permits reset of progress through lessons to start at the beginning
* Version 1.1 allows scrolling through all factor-pair choices
From here, the user may choose "Back" to review, or "Next" to continue. Further developing the concept of algebraic simplification, the app goes on to cover such topics as: terms, negatives, multiplication, order of operations, factorization, and crossing out (eliminating) terms in fractions. On this foundation Algebra Touch goes on to explore variables, and solving simple and complex equations. Future updates are planned to introduce the concepts of distribution and factoring-out expressions. And as an added convenience in group teaching situations, the app uses the device's 30-pin connector to enable display of the contents of the screen on a monitor, television, or video projector. The app was made possible with support from the Percepts and Concepts Laboratory of Indiana University, Bloomington.
"I'm 48 and I've wanted to learn Algebra my whole life ... Tried all kinds of books, to no avail. Your app works for me. I'm so excited ... A whole new world opens up. Thank you so much, S. Grace"
* iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch
* iOS 3.2 or latter
* 3.1 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Algebra Touch 1.1 is $2.99 (USD) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Education category. Review copies are available upon request.
Located in Redmond, Washington in the greater Seattle area, Regular Berry Software is an LLC shell for Sean Berry. He creates custom iPhone apps and offers contract programming services. Copyright (C) 2010 Regular Berry Software. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.