September 29, 2010 in Mac OSX (E)
[prMac.com] Incline Village, Nevada - Xeric Design today is pleased to announce the release and immediate availability of EarthDesk 5.5, an update to its award-winning, real-time dynamic desktop map. Version 5.5 adds a new "Fit To Screen" projection and now fully supports dual GPUs on newer i5 and i7 Macs.
EarthDesk replaces your static desktop with an image of the Earth showing current sun, moon and city illumination, as well as real-time global cloud coverage, allowing you to track hurricanes and other weather systems on your Macintosh desktop.
The software operates silently in the background, keeping your desktop updated while you work. Unlike a screen saver, which only appears when your system is idle, EarthDesk's dynamic desktop is continuously displayed as your desktop background (and optionally as a screen saver).
Major new features introduced in EarthDesk 5:
* Faster rendering, lower processor usage, more robust and a cleaner interface
* Seasonal maps, with snow and vegetation levels changing month-to-month
* Supports higher resolution map and cloud data on large displays
* Adjustable brightness and background color
* Starfield background option
* Updated political map now displays city lights and/or moonlight
* Supports dual GPUs controlling a single screen on the new i5 and i7 Macs
* Checks for updates automatically
Pricing and Availability:
EarthDesk 5.5 requires Mac OS X 10.5 or newer. Single user copies may be purchased online for $24.95 (USD). Upgrades are available for $12.95 for licensed users of version 4 and $17.95 for licensed users of versions 1, 2 and 3. For more information and to download an evaluation version, please visit Xeric Design online. Editorial Review copies and high resolution screenshots are available to qualified persons upon request.
Xeric Design, based in Incline Village, Nevada, is a leader in global time and mapping software. Its flagship product, EarthDesk, for both Macintosh and Windows, is enjoyed by users in more than 140 countries.