October 19, 2010 in Health and Fitness (E)
[prMac.com] Palo Alto, California - Caloricious today is pleased to announce the release of a sophisticated iPhone application for cooking healthful but delicious "real" food that does not contain gluten. A unique iPhone app that provide a delicious gluten-free way to eat well at breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Created by gluten-free expert Jacqueline Mallorca, the recipes provide inspiration right where it's needed most: first at the supermarket and then in the kitchen. Fresh, clean flavors and great textures shine through these stylish yet easy recipes, all accompanied by great photography. And even the sumptuous desserts offer good nutrition. "We are delighted to announce the availability of high quality recipes on mobiles phones from a seasoned author such as Mallorca", says founder and CEO, Guna Ramireddy. "This is the first in a series of healthy recipe apps made available on mobile phones"
A long-established food writer with a dozen cookbooks to her credit (Mallorca also created the first Williams-Sonoma catalogs and still writes food copy for the company today, and was James Beard's West Coast editor for several years), she brings years of experience to creating recipes that outshine the wheat-laden originals. They delight and amaze everyone at the table, gluten-intolerant or not.
Going gluten-free is not a mere flash in the pan. This app is of huge potential interest to the growing ranks of those with celiac disease, an autoimmune disease that affects one in every 133 Americans. (If ignored or unrecognized, this chronic inflammatory disorder of the small intestine, triggered by ingesting the gluten present in wheat, barley or rye, can lead to serious medical conditions such as diabetes and various forms of cancer.) In addition, millions more Americans have a less serious but no less restrictive wheat allergy, or simply want to adopt a healthier lifestyle by avoiding processed foods laden with white flour and sugar.
Caloricious Gluten Free Kitchen iPhone app is currently available on Apple app store and is priced at $4.99. The app will soon be available on Android phones as well. Users can cook with confidence using these 24 recipes, which were specially created for Caloricious by Mallorca, author of THE WHEAT-FREE COOK (selected by Sara Moulton on 'Good Morning America' as one of the Top Ten Cookbooks of 2007) and GLUTEN-FREE ITALIAN (ranked among Best Cookbooks of 2009 by The Washington Post). More recipes will be released in future software updates.
Mallorca's practical, healthful, everyday dinner options would grace any upscale bistro, and her supple breads and other bakery treats come as a glorious surprise. The recipes include:
* Corn Pancakes - extra light and so easy to make
* Fruity Muffins - great to freeze for a portable snack
* Muesli Parfaits - healthful muesli gets a new look
* Minestrone with Beans - speedy, yet so satisfying
* Creamy Fish Chowder - a foolproof way to enjoy fish
* Sticky Wings - savory finger food with Asian flavors
* Pepper & Zucchini Frittata - fast, fresh and colorful
* Quinoa Salad with Feta & Olives - a high protein grain with style
* Greek Pilaf with Artichokes - sunny Mediterranean flavors
* Easy Brown Rice with Mushrooms - a familiar grain goes upscale
* Spaghetti with Bacon & Baby Tomatoes - a new twist on an old favorite
* Spirals with Shrimp - an inspired way to use frozen cooked shrimp
* Almond-Sage Chicken with Wilted Greens - quick but elegant
* Italian Pork Patties with Lentils - rustic and flavorful
* Mediterranean Lamb Stew - flavors from the south of France
* Poppy Seed Puffs - irresistible party fare
* Multigrain Flatbread - artisanal bread you can't stop eating
* Quick Sandwich Rolls - a bread fit for Heros
* Chocolate Chip Cookies - the secret ingredient is almond butter
* Chewy Almond Macaroons - just perfect with a cup of Earl Grey
* Oat & Almond Cookies - lunchbox cookies with class
* Chocolate-Orange Cake - velvety perfection
* Almond-Applesauce Cake - feather-light and luscious
* Apple Crisp - a family favorite with a new topping
Cooking without ingredients that contain gluten has never been so inviting. And with this Caloricious Gluten Free recipe app in hand, it's like having gluten-fee expert Jacqueline Mallorca right there in the kitchen.
* iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
* Requires iOS 3.1 or later
* 8.6 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Gluten Free Kitchen with Jacqueline Mallorca is $4.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Healthcare & Fitness category. For further information please visit Caloricious online.
Caloricious Inc., is a health and wellness company that has developed online and mobile applications to help consumers make healthy eating choices. Caloricious has worked on building an online and mobile platform that aggregated information from thousands of brands and has constructed rich meta data for over 30,000 food products, spanning every aisle in the super market. Caloricious has developed patent pending technology that enables users to quickly and easily find delicious and nutritious foods based on their personal health requirements and offers a rich shopping experience. Caloricious is also developing a database of healthy recipes for consumers with special dietary requirements and for health conscious users. Copyright (C) 2010 Caloricious Inc. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.