December 15, 2010 in FileMaker (E)
[prMac.com] Fremont, California - FmPro Migrator Developer Edition 5.86 converts or migrates FileMaker Pro, Microsoft Access and Visual FoxPro Projects into .Net Stand-Alone Networkable Applications using Visual Studio 2010
The .Net Conversion Service built into in FmPro Migrator Developer Edition converts FileMaker Pro, Microsoft Access and Visual FoxPro Projects into .Net 4 database front-end applications. This feature quickly and efficiently converts layouts, scripts, relationships, and value lists into .Net database applications for Windows desktop apps and web browser SilverLight apps. This feature leverages the automated layout and relationship importing features of FmPro Migrator Developer Edition, along with FileMaker Pro Advanced or Microsoft Access and Visual Studio 2010.
Each database converted by FmPro Migrator Developer Edition is converted into two complete Visual Studio projects - a C# Visual Studio project and a Visual Basic Visual Studio project. This feature enables .Net developers to choose their favorite development language for further development of their application. .Net developers need only select which project file to open (.csproj or .vbproj) and then create an ADO.NET Entity Framework database connection within Visual Studio 2010. If it is necessary to re-generate the project files again, the existing database connection information will be retained and only the WPF form XAML and code behind files will be regenerated.
Each Visual Studio project generated by FmPro Migrator Developer Edition utilizes the latest Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 .Net technologies including: WPF XAML (Windows Presentation Foundation), C# 4, Visual Basic 2010, ADO.NET Entity Framework and WPF .Net 4 DataGrid controls.
.Net projects generated by FmPro Migrator Developer Edition incorporate the following commonly used database application features:
Application menus and a record navigation toolbar are added to the WPF XAML code created for each window. The globally defined ToolBarUserControl.xaml and MenuUserControl.xaml files enable efficient editing of toolbars and menus for every window of the project. This code can also be easily removed from any Window XAML file where it is not needed.
The navigation toolbar includes Previous Record, Next Record buttons, record navigation slider, and a total records label. A comboBox menu lists all of the windows in the application for navigation between windows. Selecting another window in the list of windows, opens the window as a new application window.
The navigation toolbar includes Previous Record, Next Record, Save Record buttons, a record slider, a record number entry field and total records label. A comboBox menu lists all of the windows in the application for navigation between windows.
Window Scrollbars - The XAML code generated for each window of the .Net application automatically hides or shows vertical or horizontal scrollbars based upon whether the window content is fully visible.
The .Net conversion features include: * Fixed-Price Service - Having the automated .Net conversion service implemented at a fixed price, keeps your .Net conversion project affordable.
* Portal and SubForm to .Net Data Grid Conversion - FileMaker Portals, Microsoft Access SubForms and Visual FoxPro Grids are converted into .Net DataGrid objects. The alternate row color info from the original Portal is also configured within the DataGrid. Related records are gathered based upon a conversion of the original database relationships in order to automatically fill the DataGrid with related records.
* Tab Control to WPF Tab Tab Items Conversion - FmPro Migrator converts each individual tab of a Tab Control into a TabItem object within a a TabControl object. Each object within the particular Tab is created within its respective TabItem. The color of each Tab Panel is used to set the background color of the new TabItem.
* Relationship Conversion - During the processing of each Window object, info is gathered regarding the relationship used to access the data for the object. This info is written into the xaml.cs/xaml.vb code behind files associated with each window. FmPro Migrator writes relationships into the destination SQL database, which is then used by Visual Studio to generate ADO.NET Entity Framework mapping. The generated application objects shield the application from changes within the underlying database schema.
* Image Field Support - Microsoft Access OLE Object and FileMaker Container fields are converted into BLOB columns within SQL database tables. Images from BLOB columns are displayed within a WPF image object. Image objects are also used within DataGrid objects, and automatically display data within the related database table records. Resizing the width of the DataGrid column automatically resizes the image object proportionally for proper display of the image data.
* CheckBox & Radio Button Groups - Radio buttons and checkboxes are created as individual objects, having text labels extracted from the custom value list associated with the original field. Since the original objects used a text field to store one or more data values, the same functionality is implemented in the .Net code behind files. Radio buttons write a single text value into the database for the selected radio button. Checkboxes write multiple values into the database separated by return characters in order to simulate the original database functionality.
Checkboxes consisting of a single value list value equal to a numeric "1" will be created with the label drawn as a space (meaning it will be an invisible label) - as is shown with the checkbox for the Obsolete? field at the left. When selected, this checkbox will write the numeric value "1" into the database or an empty value if it is unchecked in order to simulate the original database functionality.
* Custom Value Lists - Custom Value Lists are read from the source database project and are used to populate the WPF ComboBox, checkbox or radio buttons wherever the value list is utilized. Within FileMaker databases, Custom Value lists are stored in a centralized location within the database file. ComboBox values are implemented the same way within the generated .Net application, by placing the values within the AppResources.xml file. Therefore making a change to the list of custom values in one location within the project automatically makes the same change to all ComboBox objects which use the same value list throughout the .Net application.
* Layout Images and Vector Graphic Objects - Rectangle, rounded rectangle, and oval graphics objects are converted into their equivalent WPF vector graphic objects and placed onto the new window in the same location. Embedded images like the drag & drop icon, New, Delete and Find icons are de-duped and referenced as image objects within the Images folder within the Visual Studio 2010 project.
FmPro Migrator builds objects by using a specific Zindex value to minimize the overlapping of objects. For instance in this screenshot, the yellow rectangle was created with a Zindex of 1, the TextBox and text labels were created to sit over top of the rectangle by having Zindex values of 7 and 4 respectively. This technique is used because there isn't any method available to determine the z-order stacking of the objects created on a FileMaker layout or a Microsoft Access database form. It is likely that some manual changes will generally be necessary to fine tune the Zindex values of objects on the card.
* Date Field - Date fields configured with a date picker in the original database, will be configure in the same manner within the converted .Net project.
FmPro Migrator Developer Edition processes .Net migration projects in demo mode without a license key. In Demo mode, FmPro Migrator Developer Edition will process 5 layouts and 5 scripts.
Using the demo mode at no charge, enables .Net developers to become familiar with the conversion process and review the generated Visual Studio 2010 project files.
FmPro Migrator Developer Edition is priced at ($200) per developer and includes a copy of FmPro Migrator Developer Edition for both MacOS X (Universal Binary) and Windows platforms.
.com Solutions Inc. develops multi-platform graphical applications supporting FileMaker Pro, SQLite, Oracle, MySQL, Access, SQL Server, Sybase, DB2, OpenBase, PostgreSQL, FrontBase, Valentina, Visual FoxPro, LiveCode and Servoy developers. FmPro Script Diff, compares and edits FileMaker Pro scripts. FmPro Migrator converts FileMaker Pro databases to and from FileMaker Pro, SQLite Diff compares SQLite database schema and data. FileMaker is a trademark of FileMaker, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.