June 10, 2008 in FileMaker (E)
[prMac.com] Fremont, CA - .com Solutions Inc. has released FmPro Migrator Developer Edition 4.25 for MacOS X and Windows. FmPro Migrator Developer Edition 4.25 has been enhanced with a new feature which converts FileMaker Pro layouts and ScriptMaker(TM) scripts into Revolution stacks.
This new conversion feature is compatible with FileMaker Pro 7, 8 and 9 database files. FileMaker developers can convert existing FileMaker solutions into networkable, cross-platform, compiled applications having feature rich graphical interfaces. Revolution compiled stand-alone apps support a wide variety of database servers including FileMaker Server Advanced (ODBC), SQLite and Valentina (for embedded applications), and networked SQL databases including: MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server, PostgreSQL and any other ODBC compatible database server.
FmPro Migrator Developer Edition converts each FileMaker layout into a Revolution card, containing all of the fields, portals, text, images and buttons from the original layout. The converted layouts are placed into a new Revolution stack file having a Browse/Find status area, Calendar pop-up substack, utility handlers, converted handlers and stock graphics. Individual card objects are created within a scrollable geometry manager enabled group. The generated stack file provides a foundation for further development of a full featured database application utilizing the Revolution IDE. Revolution developers can utilize the features of the Query Builder or create their own custom code using the revDB functions.
FmPro Migrator is a stand-alone application which converts FileMaker databases to MySQL, Oracle, Access, SQL Server, Sybase, DB2, OpenBase, PostgreSQL and FrontBase. SQL Server and Access databases can also be converted to FileMaker 7, 8, 9.
FmPro Migrator Developer Edition includes all of the features of FmPro Migrator, but also includes FileMaker Table Consolidation, Layout XML Export and Layout to Revolution conversion features on MacOS X and Windows.
FmPro Migrator Developer Edition's FileMaker to Revolution Conversion Features Include:
* Wide Variety of Layout Objects Supported - FmPro Migrator Developer Edition supports the conversion of the following FileMaker Pro layout objects:
Each FileMaker Pro layout object is re-created as an equivalent Revolution card object, using the formatting and style attributes of the original object. Stylized FileMaker Pro layout text objects are converted into Revolution text labels, having the embedded text styles of the original object defined with the HTMLText property.
The supported field display options include Check Box Set, Radio Button Set, Pop-Up Menu, Drop Down List and Calendar. Pop-Up menus and Calendar objects are created with embedded Revolution script code to automatically populate the underlying field.
* ScriptMaker to Revolution Code Conversion - In addition to converting the FileMaker layouts, FmPro Migrator Developer Edition also converts each FileMaker ScriptMaker script into a handler within the new Revolution stack. Each line of code is analyzed and processed into a line of Revolution code within new handlers. ScriptMaker steps with unambiguous functionality are directly converted into an equivalent line of Revolution code, the remaining lines are commented and remain in the handler to serve as a guide for further development. The ScriptMaker code conversion process converts 50% - 80% of the lines of code for a typical FileMaker Pro database file. Both the original and converted scripts are written into the output directory as plain text files. The converted scripts are also set as the script for a button within the converted stack file.
* Calendar Pop-Up Support - FileMaker Pro layout fields can be configured with a Calendar pop-up icon to aid in data entry of date values. Fields having this option checked are created with a calendar icon located in the upper right hand corner of the Revolution field. Clicking the calendar icon brings up the Altuit enhanced version of Shao Sean's popular calendar picker. Embedded scripting within the calendar icon automatically enters the selected date into the underlying field.
* Cross-Platform Embedded Images - FileMaker Pro layouts can include a wide variety of embedded image formats. Some of these embedded image formats like the PICT format have platform-specific compatibility issues. FmPro Migrator Developer Edition directly migrates GIF, JPEG and PNG images using their native format. All other embedded image data types are converted into cross-platform compatible JPEG images when they are imported into the Revolution stack.
* Button Navigation Functionality - Many FileMaker Pro layout objects are designed with embedded links to scripts or layouts, thus making it possible for the object to serve as a button from a functional standpoint. This navigational functionality is converted into mouseUp handlers within each of the Revolution objects.
The FileMaker "Go to Layout" script step is converted into a Revolution "go to card" instruction in which the original layout name represents the name of a card in the new stack.
The FileMaker "Perform Script" script step is replaced with a call to the Revolution compatible name of the converted handler.
* Detailed Custom Property Set - Each card within the generated stack includes a customProperty set named FmPro, containing information about each of the Fields which have been placed onto the card. The fieldsList custom property contains information about every field on the card including: object name, Tablename::Fieldname in the original database, usage type and formatting. These custom properties are designed to aid developers writing custom data entry validation and screen refresh code.
* Template File Support - By default, FmPro Migrator Developer Edition uses a standard internally-stored template for the Revolution stack file which it creates. However, a developer can substitute their own stack and FmPro Migrator Developer Edition will use the supplied stack as the conversion target. This means that Revolution developers can start with an existing stack containing their own customized handlers, cards and objects.
* WebViewer to revBrowser Conversion - Each FileMaker Pro WebViewer object on a layout is converted into the equivalent Revolution revBrowser object, in the same location and size. revBrowser control buttons containing embedded scripting are created within the revBrowser object to enable the user to Go to a URL, navigate via Previous and Next buttons, Refresh the web page and Stop the browser. A URL field is also provided with the URL calculation formula from the original FileMaker Pro WebViewer object.
* Batch Layout Capture Feature - The standard method for importing FileMaker layouts into FmPro Migrator Developer Edition is to manually copy and paste each FileMaker Pro layout on the Layouts tab. An automated batch capture feature is also available for developers who are using FileMaker Pro Advanced and QuicKeys/WinAutomation software. The batch capture mode uses info from a DDR XML file to automatically capture dozens or even hundreds of layouts at a time, placing the captured layout info into the embedded SQLite database file used by FmPro Migrator Developer Edition.
Existing FmPro Migrator Developer Edition customers may upgrade to FmPro Migrator Developer Edition 4.25 at no charge. The single-user licensing includes a copy of FmPro Migrator Developer Edition for both Mac OS X (Universal Binary) and Windows platforms. FmPro Migrator customers may upgrade to FmPro Migrator Developer Edition for $100 USD. A functional demo version of FmPro Migrator may be downloaded from their website.
.com Solutions Inc. develops multi-platform graphical applications supporting FileMaker, Oracle, MySQL, Access, SQL Server, Sybase, DB2, PostgreSQL, FrontBase and Revolution developers. FmPro Script Diff, compares and edits FileMaker ScriptMaker scripts, FmPro Layout Diff, compares FileMaker Layouts. FmPro Migrator migrates FileMaker databases to and from FileMaker Pro. For more information about .com Solutions Inc., please visit their website.