April 3, 2011 in Productivity (E)
[prMac.com] Vestal, New York - RafSoftware today is pleased to announce Remoter VNC 2.02 for iOS, their productivity app that enables users to remotely control Mac, Windows, or Linux computers from their iOS device using the platform-independent VNC protocol version 3.8. The app uses Bonjour and NetBIOS to make setup a cinch, and it features a novel "virtual trackpad" that allows to control the mouse cursor intuitively. Telnet and SSH support are available as in-app purchases. SSH also allows for secure VNC over SSH.
The app offers one of the fastest implementations of the VNC protocol on the iOS platform. Operation is intuitive, with a well thought out interface that allows users to either tap on the screen and have taps converted into clicks on the remote system, or use a unique "virtual trackpad" that gives users precise control, and ease of use. A drag or stylus mode on the iPad version is also provided, this gives users the ability of easily drag items, or draw on their computers by using a stylus, or their fingers, on the iPad.
Session set-up is simple, all systems from the WiFi network are found using both the Bonjour and NetBIOS standards. The user then taps on the desired connection, and all queried information such as computer name, IP address, service port, and more auto-populates the set-up screen. The user then only needs to enter the VNC password to complete setup. A button labeled "Advanced" reveals many useful advanced options, like color depth, server scaling setting, compression level and more.
Via the SSH add-on, the app allows users to establish secure and tunneled VNC connections to their computer desktop. This add-on also gives users the ability of establishing terminal connections to any SSH server. Featuring full terminal control, including special keys such as Control, Alt, F1-F12. Terminal support implements font foreground and background color, a terminal buffer, and clicking. SSH authentication includes both passwords and private/public key support.
The SSH add-on also gives users the ability of create up to five TCP tunnels. The tunnels can then be accessed while the app is in the background by any other app on the iOS device. Providing a VPN connection to the SSH server. Background connections can stay active for a full ten minutes.
The Telnet add-on enables users to connect to server computers using the Telnet protocol. Like with SSH, the app provides full color support, a terminal buffer, and special keys.
The app's features a sleek connection selection interface that is controlled by swiping on the iOS device to graphically select the desired connection. For professional users that have many connections, a "Session Selection" screen is also available. This options presents with a list view of all available connections sorted by usage.
Wake-on-LAN support is also built-in, when the server session is setup using Bonjour or NetBIOS, the MAC address is automatically populated. Otherwise the field is provided to allow the user to populate it manually. Wake-on-LAN can then be sent either from the main screen of the app, or via the session selection screen.
The app is extremely configurable, in the "Remoter Config" screen users can select from a variety of options to best suit their needs. Options such as trackpad type and acceleration, visual clicks, international keyboard support for OS X are included.
While connected to a server, the app supports both landscape and portrait mode, full-screen mode, different pre-set zoom levels, along with a smooth pinch-to-zoom interface. Pasting text from the device's pasteboard is also supported for all connection modes. External keyboard support, either USB or Bluetooth is also provided.
* Fast VNC (Virtual Network Computing) protocol 3.8 supported
* Universal Binary - native support for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
* Support for latest 4.3.1 firmware (older firmware supported as well, from 3.1.2)
* Sleek Session Selection interface
* International keyboard support for servers that do not support direct input mode: German, Russian, French, and Spanish Keyboard mappings
* Virtual TrackPad allows for precise and intuitive control - three TrackPad modes and Left-Handed option
* Most OSs running a VNC server are supported: Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X
* UltraVNC MS Login Authentication, Server-Side Scaling, and Multiple Monitor support
* Wake-on-LAN support
* Bonjour and NetBIOS computer discovery
* Supports both Landscape and Portrait orientations
* Support for SSH and Telnet, VNC over SSH, and arbitrary SSH port tunnels via In-App purchases
* Pinch to zoom in and out; or press the Zoom button to go from Fit Height, Fit Width, and 1:1
* Special Keys: Esc, Tab, Alt, Up, Down, Right, Left, PageUp, PageDown, F1-F12, Control-Alt-Delete, etc.
* Quality control configurable per session
* Support for 8bpp, 16bpp and 32bpp color depths
"Now you can screen share with your Mac or PC when you're home using your iPad, or control your office Windows machine on the road using your iPhone or iPad" stated RafSoftware owner and developer Raf Cabezas. "Remoter VNC makes it convenient and simple to turn your iOS mobile device into a virtual desktop computer."
New in Version 2.02:
* Left-Handed Mode (for Trackpad buttons)
* Key Authentication for SSH (put private key file in Documents as ssh.key via iTunes)
* Better error and help messages
* New Trackpad Mode: Invisible
* WoL can be called from Sessions List
* New netbios icon
* Enhancements to machine discovery
* New button for Monitor Switch (UltraVNC)
* Correct color reproduction for some VNC servers in 32BPP (Blue and Red were swapped)
* Fixed automatic external keyboard detection for terminal (ssh/telnet) sessions
* Fix for SSH server authentication banner causing Remoter to close
* Fix for VNC password corruption
* iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
* iOS 3.1.2 or later (iOS 4 tested)
* Universal Binary
* 4.1 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Remoter VNC 2.02 is now at the special price of $0.99 (USD) with free lifetime upgrades, and is available worldwide through the App Store in the Productivity category. In-app purchases are available that enhance the functionality of Remoter VNC. The SSH add-on is $0.99 and adds Secure Shell connections, VNC over SSH and arbitrary TCP tunnels. The Telnet add-on is $1.99 and adds Telnet server connectivity. The Remoter Complete add-on is $3.99 and includes both SSH and Telnet add-ons, plus free lifetime upgrades for all new and revised add-ons. Review copies are available upon request.
Located in Vestal, New York, RafSoftware was founded by Raf Cabezas in May, 2010. The company seeks to produce high quality software while maintaining a very low price point. Copyright (C) 2011 Raf Cabezas. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod, and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. VNC is a registered trademark of RealVNC Ltd.