May 30, 2011 in Utility (E)
[prMac.com] Novosibirsk, Russian Federation - The Alice Dev Team today is pleased to introduce Handy Calculator 1.0 for Mac OS X, their new utility that allows users to input and check entire sequences of arithmetic operations, including parentheses, before pressing the "=" key. Designed as an ideal real-world calculator for use with Mac apps, it features an oversized keypad and display window, easy to read white numerals on a black background, single click copying and pasting into and from the display, input of fractions and negative numbers, optional display of very long number through the View Menu, optional thousands separators, and non-distracting 80% transparency when inactive. The app was developed in cooperation with the design studio Unlike Productions.
With the obvious surfeit of calculator apps for OS X it is certainly reasonable to ask, "Why another?" Handy Calculator has been designed for simplicity and style. Its oversize keypad and display, nearly half the height of the screen, makes input using a mouse easy. The app's classic, bold white numerals on a black background eliminate eyestrain. And the multi-line display offers enhanced efficiency and accuracy, allowing the user to continuously input one calculation after another before getting the final answer.
As expressed by developer and CEO Stanislav Kuptsov, "When you're busy punching in numbers, you often need to see what you did before, to be sure it wasn't a mistake. With our calculator, you can type in all the numbers and see them together, for example: 5+9+37648-9805+(3879x78). Once you're sure everything is OK, go ahead and press '='. You'll quickly get used to this feature, and won't want to be without it."
He also commented on the design objectives for Handy Calculator, "Some calculators have tons of tiny buttons for every function imaginable. But in everyday life it's much more useful to have a big, convenient '+' button than one for sine. That's why we decided to equip our calculator with only the most basic functions: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and fractions. And it can handle parentheses too. It's got everything needed by the typical computer user, office worker, businessman or schoolchild; and most students too. Everything is handy and user-friendly."
* High contrast, monochromatic, Apple-style UI that helps reduce eyestrain
* Becomes nearly invisible when inactive
* Basic functions and large convenient buttons
* Input a complete formula or sequence all at once before having to press '='
* Understands parentheses and the order of operations (PEDMAS)
* Copy the result to the clipboard for use in other documents and calculations
* Copy the current result with a single click on the calculator's display pane
* Paste in any number or calculation sequence
* Intelligent parentheses key - one key for open and close parentheses
* Input negative numbers and fractions
* Displays long numbers - ideal for professionals, programmers, and scientists
* Works with any language or keyboard layout
* A convenient and stylish calculator to assist with work and embellish the desktop
* Mac OS X 10.6.6 or later
* 0.3 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Handy Calculator is $1.99 (USD) and available worldwide through the Mac App Store in the Utilities category. Review copies are available upon request.
Located in Novosibirsk, Russian Federation, the Alice Dev Team is a small, independent professional software team founded in 2008 by Stanislav Kuptsov and Pavel Malay. Alice Dev designs and develops games, utilities, entertainment, and social applications for the Mac platform while aiming to create apps that give their customers joy. Copyright (C) 2011 Alice Dev Team. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod, and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.