July 12, 2011 in Utilities (E)
[prMac.com] Austin, Texas - Intego, the market leader in Mac security, today is pleased to announce the release of VirusBarrier iOS, a malware scanner for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Based on the award-winning technology of Intego's Mac OS X anti-malware tool, VirusBarrier X6, VirusBarrier iOS allows users of iOS devices to scan files attached to e-mail messages in the cloud for malware that could affect Macs or Windows PCs.
The iPhone, iPad and iPod touch represent a new vector for bringing files into a home or business network. While there is no known malware for iOS, files can flow through these devices into computers at home and at work by e-mail, or via remote locations such as MobileMe or Dropbox. Mac and Windows viruses, malware and worms will take any path they can to get into home and work computers, and can easily be passed on to friends and co-workers directly from an iOS device, even though they do not affect iOS devices.
VirusBarrier iOS lets users easily scan e-mail attachments, other files they have access to on an iOS device, or files on remote locations such as MobileMe, Dropbox, web servers or WebDav disks. VirusBarrier iOS uses Intego's award-winning VirusBarrier X6 scanning technology to detect and eradicate all known malware affecting Windows or Mac OS X: viruses, worms, Trojan horses, fake antiviruses, and other types of malware that might otherwise pass through undetected.
Due to the secure design of iOS, it is not possible to scan files automatically or to run scheduled scans. VirusBarrier iOS is an "on-demand" detection system that lets users scan files when they want to, or before passing them on to friends and associates.
VirusBarrier iOS offers the following features on demand:
* Scans of files received by e-mail, on remote locations, or on iOS devices
* Scans files for Mac, Windows and Unix viruses and malware
* Scans files for spyware, Trojan horses, adware, hacker tools, dialers, keyloggers and more
* Scans ZIP archives
* Repairs infected files
* Scans email attachments*, files downloaded from Safari*, and files accessed by applications supporting inter-app file transfers*
* Scans remote locations in the cloud, such as Dropbox, iDisks and WebDav disks
* Scans websites for known phishing URLs, web threats, and malware hosting
* Automatically updates malware definitions
* Completes scans in the background
* Keeps logs of scans
* Includes a 1-year subscription to Intego's market-leading malware definitions, generally updated twice a week (more if there are immediate threats discovered)
* US English, French and Japanese
* iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
* Requires iOS 4.0 or later
* 20.6 MB
Pricing and Availability:
VirusBarrier 1.0 for iOS is $2.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Utilities category. VirusBarrier iOS uses malware definitions that are updated regularly. When users initially purchase VirusBarrier, the program includes a 12-month subscription to Intego's malware definition updates. Subscription renewals will be available at $1.99 per year via an in-app purchase.
Intego develops and sells desktop Internet security and privacy software for Macs. Intego provides the widest range of software to protect users and their Macs from the dangers of the Internet. Intego's multilingual software and support repeatedly receives awards from Mac magazines, and protects more than one million users in over 60 countries. Intego has headquarters in the USA, France and Japan. Copyright (C) 2011 Intego. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Mac are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.