September 23, 2008 in iOS Development (E)
[prMac.com] Austin, Texas, USA - REAL Software, creator of REALbasic, a cross-platform development environment for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux developers, began shipping REALbasic 2008 Release 4 today. This release further focuses on REAL Software's commitment to improve stability and reliability in REALbasic. REALbasic 2008 Release 4 includes over 300 improvements and 6 new features.
The new functionality in REALbasic 2008 Release 4 includes:
* Control Locking: Control Locking adds the ability to lock a control in the IDE so it's position and size cannot be edited. This is useful for positioning controls at design time on complex User Interface's to prevent accidentally modifying the control.
* Tab Stops:Tab Stops allow users to specify controls to be skipped over when tabbing through the user interface at runtime.
* Auto-adjust Tab Indexes: REALbasic can now automatically determine the tab order for all controls.
* Warning System Updates: REALbasic now includes several new warnings, as well as a new User Interface to set per-project preferences on what warnings to receive.
* Constants in Declarations: The REALbasic compiler now allows the use of constants and enumerations in declarations. For example, constants can now be used as part of a method's optional parameter declaration or to define enumeration values in terms of other constants.
* Codesign for Mac OS X Applications: Codesign enables developers to digitally sign REALbasic applications. Digitally signed applications provide greater security because the application can be traced back to the author. One way this is used on the Mac is with Mac OS X Leopard Server. Applications installed on Leopard Server must be authorized by the user each time they are launched. Digitally signed applications need only be authorized once.
"This release further improves our compatibility with Mac OS X Leopard and fixes a number of important issues for all platforms," commented Geoff Perlman. "This release marks a milestone as the largest number of improvements to REALbasic in any single release."
REALbasic 2008 Release 4 will be offered in Spanish for the first time. REALbasic is also available in French, German, Italian, Chinese and Japanese.
The complete list of improvements and new features in REALbasic 2008 Release 4 can be found in the release notes in the product download section.
REALbasic is a full-featured software development environment suited to creating a wide range of applications, from utilities to enterprise-class applications. REALbasic Personal Edition for Windows or Mac is priced at $100 (USD). REALbasic for Linux Personal Edition is offered for free. REALbasic Professional Edition, required for cross-platform deployment, is $500. All versions of REALbasic are available now and can be download directly from REAL Software.
Located in Austin, TX/USA, REAL Software was founded in 1996 by Geoff Perlman. REAL Software offers solutions for people who want to create and deliver cross-platform software for Windows, Macintosh and Linux. REAL Software is privately held, privately financed and consistently profitable. (C)1996-2008 REAL Software, Incorporated. REAL Software, REALbasic, REAL SQL Server and the REAL Software cube logo are registered trademarks of REAL Software, Inc. All other names mentioned are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders in the United States and other countries.