September 6, 2011 in Educational (E)
[prMac.com] Seattle, Washington - Periapsis Visual Software is pleased to announce that its Solar System simulator Cosmographia is now a featured application in the Mac App Store. Since being featured, Cosmographia has become one of the top selling educational programs in the App Store.
Cosmographia takes advantage of the computational and graphics processing power of the latest generation of Macs to show Solar System phenomena not seen before in desktop software. Aurora borealis flickers above the Earth's atmosphere. Volcanoes erupt on the surface of Jupiter's moon Io. Saturn's moons cast dramatic shadows onto the planet's rings and cloud tops. Sunrises on our home planet are visible as reflections on solar panels of orbiting science satellites.
The graphical richness of Cosmographia does not come at the price of scientific accuracy. Eclipses on Earth and other planets occur in the simulation at the correct times, and the Cassini spacecraft's surface-skimming flybys of Saturn's moons are reproduced accurately. Cosmographia's data files are kept current and include such recent discoveries as the fourth moon of Pluto, which was announced in late July 2011.
Other Cosmographia features:
* Extremely high resolution maps of Earth and the Moon
* Different Earth maps for each month of the year
* Settable date and time rate for animation
* Positions and discovery dates of over half a million asteroids. Watch our Solar System get crowded as ever more powerful telescopes scan the skies for asteroids
* Text information on over 60 planets, dwarf planets, asteroids and spacecraft
* 3D Stereo mode for use with red/blue glasses
* Multitouch gesture support on trackpads: pinch-to-zoom, rotate, change distance
* Current positions of the ISS, Hubble Space Telescope and other interesting Earth-orbiting spacecraft
* Built-in support for image and video recording
Hardware and Software Requirements:
* Mac OS X 10.6.6 or greater
* 128 MB video memory
Pricing and Availability:
Cosmographia may be purchased from the Mac App Store for $9.99 (USD). It is listed in the Education category of the Mac App Store.
Periapsis Visual Software is a developer of scientific visualization applications based in Seattle, Washington. Copyright (C) 2011 Periapsis Visual Software. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.