April 24, 2012 in Books (E)
[prMac.com] Minneapolis, Minnesota - Noble Beast, LLC has launched Steampunk Holmes: Legacy of the Nautilus, a mashup of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories and other classic 19th-century fiction set in a steampunk universe. The story is available now as an ebook and is in development for an interactive web app and iPad app as well as an illustrated print version. A two-week crowdfunding campaign to fund the book app has been launched on Kickstarter and will end May 3, 2012 at 3:42 p.m. EDT.
This is an international project with talent participating from the United States, Argentina and Great Britain. Artist Daniel Cortes of Buenos Aires has created fantastic animated artwork depicting characters, scenes, and steampunk devices. Music is provided by Seattle, Washington steampunk band Abney Park.
Richard Monson-Haefel, founder of Noble Beast, LLC, is producing the series. Author P.C. Martin has adapted the original Sherlock Holmes story and added a dash of Steampunk and Jules Verne. Steampunk is a genre of literature, art, and music based on the Victorian aesthetic and updated with steam-powered science fiction.
The future of publishing has arrived with this interactive multi-channel Sherlock Holmes project. Richard Monson-Haefel discusses his project: "What happens if you combine a movie with a book? You have the intimate connection that you can have with a book and you have the exciting visuals that can be produced with film...What I'm looking forward to is telling this story in a fashion that has never been done before."
The Steampunk Holmes: Legacy of the Nautilus app project is an example of new directions in publishing. When digital books are produced there is an opportunity to interact with the reader in a more engaging way. The Steampunk Holmes project uses the capabilities of digital media in new ways to enhance a great story. Young adult readers have particularly shown interest in cross-media manifestations of their favorite stories.
An in-app catalogue of steampunk merchandise from various vendors including music by Abney Park, clothes, and jewelry will be included in the app. Widowmakr, a street-ready motorcycle from the story, will be available from Solifague Design and Putsch Racing. A 360-degree view of the motorcycle will be available in the app catalogue.
Rewards for pledging to the Kickstarter campaign include:
* Free access to the ebook for pledges starting at $1
* Signed art posters by artist Daniel Cortes
* Print edition signed by author P. C. Martin
* CD by world-renowned Steampunk band Abney Park signed by singer Robert Brown
* Your name or portrait written into the story
The Steampunk Holmes Story:
In the Steampunk Holmes Universe, a new, more compact and powerful steam engine has been invented which powers everything from motorcycles to airships to great mechanical computers. The result is a mashup of Victorian culture and a technological revolution 100 years before its time.
The series starts in the year 1885, when Sherlock Holmes and his bionic biographer, Doctor Watson, are called in by Sherlock's sister, Mycroft Holmes, to help find the stolen plans of a very advanced submarine, the Nautilus, recovered from the watery grave of the most notorious terrorist of the British Empire, Captain Nemo. The mystery for Sherlock Holmes: Who has stolen the plans to the Nautilus and what will they do with them?
This is only the beginning of a series of adventures that will take Sherlock, Watson and Mycroft on a worldwide adventure. They encounter technological miracles, geniuses and mad men all of which are characters originally created by the early masters of speculative fiction: Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, and Mary Shelley.
The first installment of the series "Steampunk Holmes: Legacy of the Nautilus" is based on the original Arthur Conan Doyle story: "The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans" (c.1912). A super arc has been developed that will allow us to follow Holmes, Watson, and Mycroft on many adventures. The next story in the series will be "Steampunk Holmes: The Island of Dr. Monroe."
The adventures of Steampunk Holmes will be published as interactive books with optional audio narration, designs for super-steampunk devices (James Bond's got nothing on Holmes), and animated scenes for the iPad, web, and other platforms.
* Publisher: Noble Beast, LLC
* Producer: Richard Monson-Haefel
* Writer: P.C. Martin
* Artist: Daniel Cortes
* Cover Artist: John Coulthart
* Music: Abney Park
* Voice Talent: Gerald Price, Shash Hira, Nicky Barber, Hannah Melbourne
* 31,000 word steampunk adaptation of the original Arthur Conan Doyle story: "The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans" (c.1912)
* Interactive story with audio, illustrations, and animations
* Pop-up diagrams of devices in the story
* Pop-up portrait and biographies of characters
* Interactive map shows landmarks and character locations at any point in the story
* In-app catalogue featuring music and other steampunk-themed items for sale
A complete edition of every book in the series will be published on each of the following platforms:
* The Web Edition - A yearly subscription gives you access to the fist interactive novella as well as the seven planned sequels.
* The Tablet Edition - Initially developed for the iPad, we plan to eventually create interactive editions for Android and other Tablets.
* The eReader Edition - for those folks who just want to read the text on their Kindle, Sony, or other eReader we'll have an edition for them too.
* The Audiobook Edition - for those readers who love to listen to audiobooks while driving or cleaning the house, we have a dramatized audiobook that is about two shakes from being completed.
* The Print Edition - We love to curl up with a paper book as much as the next person and so we'll have an illustrated printed edition as well.
Based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Richard Monson-Haefel is a 20-year veteran of information technology, design, and publishing who has been producing interactive books for the iPad since February 2010 - immediately after the iPad was first announced. He has developed three other iPad books including "Treasure Island" which was featured by the Apple App Store in 2010 Book app of the week for an unprecedented two weeks. Steampunk Holmes is the first project from Monson-Haefel's independent company, Noble Beast, LLC. Copyright (C) 2012 Noble Beast, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.