April 14, 2009 in Photo and Video (F)
[prMac.com] Ashland, OR - Open Door Networks, Inc. and Project A, Inc. (We-Envision.com) announced that they have teamed up with award-winning photographers Rick Smolan and Jennifer Erwitt to offer an iPhone application based on Smolan and Erwitt's recent best-selling book "America at Home." Marking the one-year anniversary of the publication of that book, one of the largest collaborative projects in Internet history, "America at Home for iEnvision" adds to the momentum behind We-Envision.com's popular line of "Envi" apps and is a natural extension of Smolan's and Erwitt's ongoing use of evolving technologies to push the envelope of modern-day photographic journalism.
By bringing the extraordinary photos from "America at Home" to the iPhone, the developers utilize Apple's groundbreaking device to add significant value to the "emotions of home" captured by the book. And by offering a 25% discount on the book to anyone purchasing the app, they offer tangible value as well.
"America at Home for iEnvision" captures the essence of Smolan and Erwitt's groundbreaking "Close-Up Look at How We Live" by being much more than just a sampling of photos from it. Features of the app include:
* Full, two-page layouts from the book, encompassing not just photos but essays and captions as well. The iPhone's amazing high-resolution display and multi-touch controls let users explore all aspects of each layout, from the complete 2-page view to fully readable caption text and minute image details. Everything is built into the app and loads instantly.
* Photos organized just as in the book, page-by-page and chapter-by-chapter.
* Cover, sleeve and introductory text and images.
* The ability for users to select a photograph of their choosing as a "custom background image" for the app, just as the book itself lets users purchase a version with a custom cover based on one of their photographs.
* A 25% discount off the price of the full book and custom cover, for anyone who purchases and registers the 99-cent (special introductory price) application. Book purchase and customer cover upload are performed through the book's Web site.
"America at Home for iEnvision" utilizes the advanced display technologies in We-Envision.com's acclaimed iEnvision Web-image browser. iEnvision, available since day one of iPhone apps, has been hailed as one of the "Top 10 iPhone apps to show off with." The basis of over 40 current "Envi" apps, including the number-one selling Art Envi, iEnvision incorporates five years' worth of Web-image-capture and display technology development, much from the original Macintosh version of the product.
"By partnering with We-Envision.com, we're able to vastly expand the audience for our award-winning books," said Smolan. "And by including our app as part of We-Envision.com's 'Envi' product line, we can tap into the brand recognition they've developed over many years."
"I've admired Rick and crew's work for even longer than I've run Open Door," said Alan Oppenheimer, president of 14-year old Open Door Networks. "To be able to work directly with him to bring his amazing vision to iPhone users is a great honor and privilege for all of us involved. And the fact that the diminutive iPhone can actually do his giant works justice is a great credit to all the folks at Apple. The photos are almost as impressive on the iPhone as in the coffee table book itself."
Applications in We-Envision.com's current Envi product line include:
* Art: Architecture Envi, Art Envi, Art Envi Deluxe, Art Envi Impressionist and Hiroshige Envi. Art Envi was the number-one selling app in Japan for over a week.
* Space: Space Envi, Space Envi Deluxe, Earth Envi, Planet Envi, Mars Envi, Astronaut Envi
* Cars: Ferrari Envi, Porsche Envi, Lambo Envi, Vette Envi, Mustang Envi, Camaro Envi, T-Bird Envi
* Fun and lifestyle: Haircut Envi, Shoe Envi, Wedding Envi, Dog Envi, Cat Envi, Comic Envi
* Travel: Paris Envi, London Envi, Chicago Envi, DC Envi, Hawaii Envi
* Outdoors: Outdoor Exposure for iEnvision, Parks Envi, Parks Envi Deluxe, Yosemite Envi, Mountain Envi
AMERICA AT HOME: A Close-Up Look at How We Live
Created by Rick Smolan and Jennifer Erwitt
Publication date: April 1, 2008
ISBN #: ISBN 9780-7624-3415-2
About The Authors
Rick Smolan is a former Time, Life and National Geographic photographer best known as the creator of the Day in the Life and America 24/7 series. He and his partner, Jennifer Erwitt, are the principals of Against All Odds Productions, which specializes in the design and execution of large-scale global projects that combine compelling storytelling with state-of-the-art technology. Their projects have been featured on the covers of Time, Newsweek, Fortune and U.S. News & World Report and more than three million of their books adorn coffee tables around the world - many of them New York Times best-sellers. Their books include AMERICA AT HOME, UK AT HOME, The Blue Planet Run, AMERICA 24/7, One Digital Day, 24 Hours in Cyberspace, Passage to Vietnam, The Power to Heal, From Alice to Ocean, Christmas in America, and A Day in the Life of America. Smolan has appeared numerous times on news programs including NBC's Today Show, ABC's Good Morning America, Ted Koppel's ABC Nightline, CNN's Situation Room, National Public Radio's Talk of the Nation, All Things Considered and Marketplace. The Oprah Winfrey Show selected America 24/7 as one of her "favorite things" in 2004. Fortune magazine describes Against All Odds as "one of the coolest companies in America." Smolan and Erwitt live with their two children, in northern California.
Pricing and Availability:
"America at Home for iEnvision" is available immediately from the iTunes App Store for the special introductory price of 99 cents. Details of the product are available on We-Envision.com and "America at Home". We-Envision.com also ships the myCard and myCard Free contact exchange apps through the iTunes App Store. Details of the full product line are available on We-Envision.com.
We-Envision.com is an innovative collaboration of two separate software companies (Open Door Networks and Project A). The mission of We-Envision.com is the design, development and deployment of the best independent software solutions for the Apple iPhone and iPod Touch. Open Door Networks, Inc. was founded in 1995 by Alan Oppenheimer, co-creator of AppleTalk, the original network system for the Macintosh. Open Door is a leading provider of Internet solutions for Apple products. Project A, Inc. was founded in 1990 by Jim Teece and is a leading developer of 100% database-driven websites deployed for clients world-wide. Both companies are located in Ashland, Oregon. Copyright 2009 We-Envision.com. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Computer in the U.S. and/or other countries.