September 18, 2014 in Disk Cataloging (E)
[prMac.com] Luxembourg - Houdah Software announces the immediate availability of HoudahGeo 4.0 - an upgrade to its geocoding and geotagging solution for the Mac. HoudahGeo is tightly integrated with iPhoto and Aperture Places. It offers a myriad of ways to geocode and publish photos. HoudahGeo 4.0 add support for Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite. This free upgrade is recommended for all users of Mac OS X 10.8 or later.
HoudahGeo users can "pin" photos to locations where they were taken. HoudahGeo can store latitude, longitude and altitude information right within the image file. HoudahGeo writes EXIF, XMP and IPTC tags to JPEG, RAW and XMP files. HoudahGeo is tightly integrated with iPhoto and Aperture Places. It offers a myriad of ways to geocode and publish photos.
Geocoding photos serves two main purposes:
* Geotags provide extra information that can be used to catalog and find photos. Years from now, you may not remember when you took the photo you are looking for. But you will remember roughly where you took it
* Geotags add to the "story" of a photo. With the photo pinned to a map, you can see the exact spot where it was taken. Add a GPS track log to see how you got there
HoudahGeo structures the geocoding process into three easy steps:
1. Load: Start by adding images and optionally GPS track logs to the project
2. Process: Add or update metadata for the images in the project
3. Output: Export or publish the newly created metadata
The quickest way of geocoding photos relies on a GPS track log obtained from a GPS device or iPhone app. A GPS track logger stores the current time and position position every couple of seconds. HoudahGeo automatically matches photos to the track log using the timestamp recorded by the camera. HoudahGeo can export the track logs and geocoded photos for viewing in Google Earth. This creates a bird's-eye view of a trip with photos pinned to the locations where they were taken.
HoudahGeo offers many ways of geocoding your favorite photos:
* Automatic: Matches photos to a GPS track log
* iPhone: Matches photos to reference photos taken using iPhone
* Manually using Google Earth: Point Google Earth to the desired location
* Manually using a map: Pick locations using the built-in map
* Precision: Attach photos to GPS waypoints
* Manual entry: Enter coordinates found on Google Earth, Wikipedia, etc.
HoudahGeo connects directly to many brands and models of GPS track loggers. It also reads GPX, NMEA, TES, ... and TCX files created by third party software.
HoudahGeo fits nicely into existing workflows:
* Tags image files in Finder folders or on memory cards
* Tags photos hosted by iPhoto, Aperture or Lightroom
* Notifies iPhoto and Aperture Places of updates
* Works with JPEG and RAW image files as well as XMP sidcars
* Intel Mac
* Mac OS X Version 10.8 or higher, including 10.10 Yosemite
* Digital camera
* Optional GPS track logger
* Optional GPS-enabled iPhone
Pricing and Availability:
HoudahGeo 4.0 is priced at $29 USD + (tax) for a single-user license. A full-featured demo version is available. Licenses are available from the Houdah Software store.
Founded in 2005 by Pierre Bernard, Houdah Software is a small company based in Luxembourg, Europe. Houdah Software specializes in quality software for Mac, iPhone and Apple iPad. Our mission is to pair quality products with excellent customer support. Copyright 2005-2014 Houdah Software s.r.l. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Mac, Spotlight, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.