November 20, 2014 in Social Networking (F)
[prMac.com] Bangalore, India - Roo Kids, a safe & fun instant messaging app for kids with minimum yet critical parental controls, announced released of new version with new functionality and user experience improvements. The new version allows a new user to get started faster, chat with various chatbots while waiting for friends to join, download themes & stickers and has multiple user experience improvements.
"Roo Kids aims to be for kids what Whatsapp, Kik and Facebook Messenger are for grown ups. Parents want kids to explore, learn and master the digital world. But, the important concerns that parents have are: 1/ Strangers reaching out to their kids online, and 2/ Kids getting distracted during homework time or sleep time," said Dinker Charak, Founder & CEO of Gungroo Software Pvt Ltd and maker of Roo Kids.
"We take these concerns heads on and introduced a few key features. Parents get to review and disapprove anyone in their kid's Contact list. Thus no stranger or unwanted person can sneak in. Kids can block any user or message with immediate effect. Parents can set curfew time slots during which the live chat will not work," Dinker elaborated.
"We started with a web version when Gungroo was founded in 2012. We soon realized that instead of the PC, the tablet was not becoming the device that family shares. Our first version was for iPad and the app continues to be highly optimized for iPad. In this release we add support for iPhone too," Dinker continued, talking about the evolution of Gungroo and pivot to Roo Kids.
The app userbase is growing steadily. Users in USA, Australia, UK and UAE are among the top downloaders of the app. The app broadly complies with the US FTC's Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). They are currently seeking funds to help it undergo full COPPA certification. Learn more at the website.
Highlights of the New Features:
* Transfers all Instant Messages Over SSL. Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) allows secure transmission of credit card numbers, social security numbers, login credentials, etc. securely. No one can eavesdrop and read the content of the messages.
* Does not run any banner or video ads on the app. You don't have to worry about inappropriate or irritating ads showing up or your kid accidentally clicking to some web link.
* Provides Parental Controls for the app. Using Parental Controls you can set various safety options, control in-app purchases and monitor who is on your kid's Contact List. Access to Parental Controls is password protected.
* Parents own the Contact List. They can inspect and eject any unwanted person from the kid's contacts. This way kids have freedom and privacy of conversation, but with known and trusted people only.
* Provides Curfew Hours to control usage. Parents can setup curfew hours during which live messaging will not work. Homework time? Sleep time? We won't come in the way!
* Does not request Camera Access. 'Roo Kids' does not directly access camera. Parents can restrict access to iPad's camera and there is no risk of accidental photo sharing.
* Has a very Attractive User Interface. The artwork and User Interface has been designed to appeal to kids. The more the kids love this app, the less they will seek less secure alternatives.
* Comes with a 247 Support. Our team is available 247 to respond to your query. We try to respond and close critical matters within 24 hours.
* Allows for easy Reporting of Abuse. We do not tolerate abuse or bullying. We too say no to Bullying. Kids can report a message or a user as abusive. This will have immediate effects and parents are notified via email.
* iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
* Requires iOS 7.0 or later
* 15.2 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Roo Kids 1.6.3 can be downloaded from iTunes for free in the Social Networking category. The app is optimized for iPad. It offers in-app purchase of Themes and Stickers. For more information please visit the website.
Gungroo Software builds safe 'fun learn' products for kids. Gungroo Software has developed fun and safe app for kids like My Sketch Roo, a sketching app for iPad & iPhone and Roo Kids, a safe & fun instant messaging app for kids with minimum yet critical parental controls. Gungroo is a privately held, angel-funded company, headquartered in Bangalore, India. For more information please visit the website. All Material and Software (C) Copyright 2014 Gungroo Software. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other trademarks and registered trademarks may be the property of their respective owners.