September 22, 2009 in FileMaker (E)
[prMac.com] Fremont, CA - .com Solutions Inc. introduces FmPro Migrator Platinum Edition 5.25 wth Microsoft Access to FileMaker Pro Migration License Feature. The recently introduced Access to FmPro migration feature previously added to FmPro Migrator Developer Edition has been the most successful product launch ever for the FmPro Migrator product line. In response to customer requests, FmPro Migrator Platinum Edition has been introduced with simplified product licensing for Access to FileMaker database migrations.
FmPro Migrator Platinum Edition includes all of the features of FmPro Migrator Developer Edition, but also includes a license key for enabling Access to FileMaker migrations for an unlimited number of Access database files for the duration of the license key. The included Access to FmPro license key processes up to 250 Forms/Reports for a 1 year period of time (a $2500 value). Professional FileMaker developers and IT departments will often find that FmPro Migrator Platinum Edition easily pays for itself with the first Microsoft Access database they process.
FmPro Migrator Platinum Edition automates the conversion of Microsoft Access Forms/Reports, Relationships, Value Lists, Queries and Visual Basic code to FileMaker Pro database solutions. The new Access to FmPro Migration feature can easily save hundreds of hours of development effort in a typical Access to FileMaker Pro conversion project.
FmPro Migrator Platinum Edition can re-create hundreds of Access Forms or Reports as new FileMaker Pro layouts in a matter of seconds. FmPro Migrator Platinum Edition uses QuicKeys(MacOS X)/WinAutomation(Windows) to copy the newly generated layouts into a FileMaker Pro database file at a rate of approximately 200 layouts per hour.
Features of the Access to FmPro Migration feature include:
* Upsize Access Databases to FileMaker Pro - Access databases can be migrated to FileMaker Pro 10 in order to take advantage of FileMaker Pro's legendary ease of use and increased data management capacity. Migrated Access databases can now grow to the maximum 8TB file size offered by FileMaker Pro 10 and can be run on MacOS X and Windows.
* Fixed Price - You know up front what the cost will be to convert the structure and data within any Microsoft Access database into a cross-platform FileMaker Pro database solution.
* Microsoft Access 97, 2000, 2003 and 2007 File Formats - The migration process uses the AccessDDRExport utility to extract information from within Access 97 - Access 2007 mdb/accdb database files. The AccessDDRExport conversion utility is an Access 2000/mde 2007/accde database file supplied with FmPro Migrator Platinum Edition.
* Save Time, Get Up and Running Quickly - It can be a tedious and time consuming process to manually re-create each Access Form/Layout control into any other development environment. Rather than spending weeks or even months of valuable time manually converting hundreds of Forms/Reports, FileMaker Pro developers can utilize the Access to FmPro Migration feature as an economical alternative.
* Visual Basic Code Conversion - Each Visual Basic Subroutine or Function is converted into a FileMaker script documented with the name of the original code module, and global variables, followed by the commented text of the Subroutine or Function. FmPro Migrator uses the clipboard script handling features included with FileMaker Pro 10 to batch copy all of the converted scripts into the FileMaker Pro scripts window.
* Relationship Conversion - Relationships are retrieved from the Access .mdb/.accdb database file when the tables and fields are gathered during the initial drag & drop processing of the file. Access relationships are converted into FileMaker Pro relationships during the conversion process. Each relationship is then built in an automated manner using QuicKeys(MacOS X) shortcuts or WinAutomation(Windows) jobs. Being able to see the relationships at a glance on the FileMaker RelationshipGraph makes it easier to understand and utilize the structure of the original database.
* Radio Button/Checkbox Group Conversion - Microsoft Access radio button/checkbox groups consist of multiple objects within an acOptionGroup object. Access always writes a numeric value into the underlying database field whenever a checkbox or radio button is clicked. The numeric values are defined within each individual radio button/checkbox object. The text values seen by the user are defined as caption text within a text label object corresponding to each button.
Objects which make up the group button are related to each other in a hierarchical parent/child relationship manner, which enables FmPro Migrator Developer Edition to traverse the object relationships and extract the data values and labels. For a group of 3 radio buttons, the 7 objects contained within the acOptionGroup radio button group are converted into 2 objects (field and label) and a value list assigned to the field on the FileMaker Pro layout.
The size and rectangular shape of the converted FileMaker field corresponds to the coordinates of the original group button object rectangle. All generated value lists are de-duped and created as individual value lists. The correct value list is automatically assigned to the field on the layout, and the field is configured to display as either a group of radio buttons or checkboxes based upon its definition on the original Access Form.
* Custom Value Lists - Access database fields can be configured with semicolon separated lists of text based Row Source values. These Row Source values serve the same purpose as FileMaker Value Lists, providing for the selection of text value entries into fields. Access databases do not contain a centralized storage location for these Row Source values.
These lists of values are scattered throughout the Forms/Reports of the entire database file. FmPro Migrator extracts and analyzes the Row Source values for duplication prior to creating new Value Lists for the FileMaker database file. Therefore if a file contains dozens or even hundreds of Row Source value definitions, they will be consolidated down into a much smaller number of unique Value Lists within the FileMaker Pro database.
* Embedded Form/Report Images - Embedded Form/Report graphic images from Access acImage objects are placed onto each FileMaker layout in the same size and location as the original image. Each image is extracted from the Access database as a JPEG image and written into an Images folder during the AccessDDRExport processing. Having the images available as external files prior to building the FileMaker layouts makes it possible to substitute new images for the original images. As long as the filenames remain the same, FmPro Migrator will utilize the replaced image when creating the new layouts.
* Rectangle and Line Objects - Rectangle objects can be used as Form/Report backgrounds within Access. Filled and unfilled rectangles are converted, as well as the border properties. The color and thickness of Line objects is also converted. Line and rectangle objects from Access are converted directly into FileMaker Pro Line and Rectangle vector graphic objects. As vector graphic objects they are displayed at high resolution for on screen display and printing purposes.
* TAB Control and Enclosed Objects - Access Tab Panel objects are converted into FileMaker Pro Tab Controls, including the objects embedded within each tab of the control. Each type of object which is converted for the main section of the Form/Report is supported for conversion within each tab of a Tab Control.
* Queries Converted to FileMaker Scripts and TOs - Each Microsoft Access query is converted into a Table Occurrence on the FileMaker RelationshipGraph, since a FileMaker TO represents how the query is used within the structure of the Access database. Layouts and Fields on Layouts will immediately display the data referenced within the base table specified in each of the TOs. Access queries are also converted into FileMaker scripts which use the DoSQL plug-in from myFMButler/SHPartners. These scripts are pasted directly into the FileMaker Manage Scripts window, along with all of the converted Visual Basic code. Having the source code for each query enables the FileMaker developer to configure relationships representing the functionality of the original SQL query.
Pricing and Availability:
FmPro Migrator Platinum Edition is priced at ($600) per developer and includes a copy of FmPro Migrator Platinum Edition for both MacOS X (Universal Binary) and Windows platforms. FmPro Migrator EE/Developer Edition customers may upgrade to FmPro Migrator Platinum Edition for $400.
.com Solutions Inc. develops multi-platform graphical applications supporting FileMaker, Oracle, MySQL, Access, SQL Server, Sybase, DB2, PostgreSQL and FrontBase developers. FmPro Script Diff, compares and edits FileMaker ScriptMaker scripts, FmPro Layout Diff, compares FileMaker Layouts. FmPro Migrator migrates FileMaker databases to and from FileMaker. Installgen automates over 100 Oracle install procedures on Solaris, Windows, Linux and MacOS X. Repgen replicates Oracle data in a multi-master configuration on Solaris, Windows, Linux and MacOS X. For more information about .com Solutions Inc., please visit their website.