May 3, 2016 in Education (E)
[prMac.com] Taos, New Mexico - Tasa Graphic Arts, Inc. is proud to announce the release of Plate Tectonics Visual Glossary and Atlas 1.0 for iOS, a comprehensive glossary of terms and definitions related to plate tectonics with visuals that include illustrations, animations, photos, and videos. Using a 3D globe with surface maps that show Earth's geologic features, terms are related to the features that are a direct result of the motion of tectonic plates. View terms and definitions from a searchable list or click an icon in the list to go to its specific location on the globe.
The app provides a visual experience that encourages discovery by exploration of Earth's surface. See how changes in plate boundaries cause earthquakes, volcanoes, and mountain building. Select an alternate surface map that shows the sizes and shapes of the major tectonic plates or a map that illustrates the age of the ocean floor. Control the visibility of overlays for plate boundaries, map labels, term icons, and a coordinate grid. Another overlay shows major earthquakes since 1900 which graphically illustrates activity at plate boundaries. Or, just turn off all overlays and explore Earth's surface.
* Surface maps illustrate Earth's physiographic features, plate shapes, or the age of the oceanic lithosphere
* Overlays for: plate boundaries, map labels, terms at geographic locations, a latitude/longitude grid, and major earthquakes since 1900
* Approximately 240 terms and geographic locations with definitions and descriptions
* Most definitions have illustrations, animations, or photos
* Locations have descriptive text and spin the globe to show the location on Earth
* Definitions provide links to related terms
* Simple, intuitive user interface: drag, pinch, tap
* Universal app
* Optimized for large screens, supports all screen sizes and orientations
* Supports side-by-side split-view
* No internet connection required
Correlates to Next Generation Science Standards for Earth Science:
* ESS2.A: Earth Materials and Systems
* ESS2.B: Plate Tectonics and Large-Scale System Interactions
* ESS3.B: Natural Hazards
* ESS1.C: The History of Planet Earth
Supports inquiry-based learning about plate tectonics by providing an exploration of Earth that illustrates the relationship between surface features and plate tectonics. The definitions aid students when writing about or discussing the interaction of Earth's tectonic plates, earthquakes, and volcanoes. The app encourages higher-order thinking skills by displaying data (historical earthquakes, age of the oceans, volcano locations) that requires analysis, supports the formulation of theories, and tests those theories.
* iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
* Requires iOS 8.4 or later
* Universal Application
* 193 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Plate Tectonics Visual Glossary and Atlas 1.0 is $1.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Education category.
In addition to producing iOS apps and multi-touch books, Tasa Graphic Arts, Inc. produces award-winning interactive, educational CD-ROMs covering planetary geology, plate tectonics, topographic maps, rocks and minerals, weather and climate, the processes that shape Earth's surface, and more. Copyright (C) 2016 Tasa Graphic Arts, Inc. All Rights Reserved. All other trademarks and trade names are the property of their respective owners.