December 21, 2010 in Entertainment (E)
[prMac.com] Bristol, United Kingdom - Hobbyist Software today announces VLC Remote 5.50 for iOS, an update to their award-winning, remote controller app that gives the user wireless control over the immensely popular, free, VLC Media Player. With over 175,000,000 free downloads, the VLC Media Player allows users to view and/or hear almost any type of media file on their Mac or PC. VLC Remote has more than 2,000,000 free downloads and allows the user to remotely browse their computer's hard drives and control CD/DVD or media file playback via their iOS device. The app also features remote control of the following functions: volume, position, track, fullscreen, subtitles, aspect ratio, audio track, audio delay, and playlists.
The 5.50 update adds complete YouTube and Facebook integration. Users may now browse YouTube, select a video, then have it play back in the feature-rich, remote controlled, VLC Media Player. Facebook integration allows users to comment on what they are watching. With this feature users can now find their favorite "Kittenz" video from their iphone, and then "send" it to VLC running on their computer for the whole family to watch.
The VLC Media Player is a project of VideoLAN, a non-profit organization developing and promoting free multimedia solutions. The Player is free and open-source, and is available for Mac, PC, Linux, and other operating systems. Compatible with more than 15 different input media and file formats, it supports more video and audio formats than Windows Player, QuickTime Player, Real Player, and Flash Player combined. The VLC Player features deinterlace, cropping, image adjust, rotate/mirror, magnification, and more. Most importantly, it has a reputation among millions of users for being able to play back practically any file, even if it is damaged.
* Convenient wireless control of the VLC Media Player using any iOS device
* Full browsing of all media files - play any media file on the remote controlled computer
* Stop, Play, and Pause
* Full DVD controls
* Control volume, position, next track and previous track
* Turn fullscreen on and off
* Control subtitles, aspect ratio, audio track, and delays
* Use the picker control for fine control of volume and position
* View the playlist and play files from it
* Add files to the playlist or play them directly
* Easily access external drives
* Use landscape mode for more control and customize with skins
* Automatically locates VLC players on your computer or network
* GUI optimized for the new Retina display
* Switch seamlessly between VLC Remote and other applications with iOS 4 multitasking
* Browse YouTube on any iOS device, click play, and playback starts on the computer screen
* Facebook integration allows the user to tap on any item in the playlist to post a related comment on Facebook
Once the user has downloaded VLC Remote it is very simple to setup and operate. The user may enter the IP address of their computer manually, or download the one-touch, VLC Remote Setup app. The VLC Remote app allows the user to store the addresses of a number of computers, which may all be controlled with the same iOS device. The Computers screen of the app also allows access to optional skins, settings, help, and the company's newsletter. The Browse screen displays the entire hierarchical file structure of the computer being controlled, and it is easy to access any media file located on any drive. Inserting a CD or DVD brings up the Controls screen, with buttons for play, pause, stop, forward, reverse, repeat, and shuffle. Buttons provide integrated access to IMDB, as well as the computer's Playlists and Media Folders.
"With VLC Remote you can stay on the sofa and control playback of media on your computer or entertainment system," stated Hobbyist Software Owner, Rob Jonson. "Use any iOS device as a remote control for the outstanding, free VLC Media Player."
* US English, Bulgarian, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Malay, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, and Swedish
* Works with Mac, PC, Linux
* iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
* iOS 3.1.2 or later (iOS 4 tested)
* Optimized for Retina display
* 2.2 MB
Pricing and Availability:
VLC Remote 5.50 is available worldwide through the App Store in the Entertainment category for $4.99 (USD). VLC Remote Free is a free limited version of the app. Review copies are available upon request.
Located in Bristol, UK, Hobbyist Software was born in 2003 developing applications for Palm OS. When the iPhone came out, the company switched to iPhone apps and now have Android and Palm Web OS apps in their catalogue too. Hobbyist Software is a classic one-man-band with one full time developer and a loose network of contractors and support staff across the globe. Copyright (C) 2010 Hobbyist Software. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. VLC is a free open source media player produced by the Videolan team.