December 2, 2011 in Productivity (E)
[prMac.com] Llandudno, North Wales, UK - Cobalt Techno today is pleased to introduce iDB 1.0 - Database Management, their Productivity app that allows the user to create custom databases from a template, by duplicating an existing database, by importing a CSV file, or by starting from scratch. Featuring custom formatted List and Detail views, the app provides simple navigation and powerful search options. Whether used at home or at the office, iDB is an ideal organizational tool that enables the creation of unlimited data filters, grouping of data, and summary statistics.
Truly an all-purpose database app, iDB works just as well cataloging a home library as tracking a business's accounts receivable. The user has easy access to every detail, including various font sizes, colors, and bold or plain, icon color, summary method, and summary field. For example, the sample Books template allows the user to view their collection in one of three views: List, Detail, or Summary. Each of the three views can be customized to suit the user's preferences. General Settings include Sort Field (e.g., Title, Ascending in provided sample), Quick Pick Title Field (e.g., Author), Quick Pick Subtitle Field (e.g., Title), and Filters (e.g., Mysteries). List View Settings include: List View Fields Setup (e.g., four of ten fields displayed - Author, Title, Description, and Cover Image), Background Color (e.g., White), Alternate Color (e.g., Blue), and Grouping (e.g., Enabled - Normal Method by Author; Summary Method - Count). Detail View Settings for this sample template include: Author, Title, Genre, Format, Number of Pages, Price, Cover Image, Description, Owned Yes/No, and Date Last Read.
The Summary view is especially useful and not often found in database apps for mobile devices. The Database Summary for the Books template includes all the 10 categories included in the Detail View. For each category, it provides information not about a single book, but the entire collection. For example, the Author field displays the number of different Authors represented in the whole library; the Number of Pages field indicates the sum total of pages, average number of pages, and minimum and maximum pages in any book; the Price field displays the cost of the entire library, plus the average cost per book, etc.
iDB includes built-in Internet connectivity, allowing the user to email any Record or Summary. The app also provides integrated import and export of CSV files. The Quick Pick function lets users browse through data quickly, according to their chosen category. Finally, a powerful search function permits the user to locate any word or string in any record.
* Create unlimited databases and format color and default style attributes
* Duplicate existing databases with or without data
* View your data in the List View or by single record Detail View
* Customize view layout by editing alignment, fonts, font sizes, colors, and image sizes
* Add grouping and create custom summary values for group headers
* Format group header text and background styles
* Create simple and complex filters
* View your filters (with record count) directly from the home screen
* Create all the usual fields including pick lists, image fields, calculated fields, and address book links
* Choose different input formats for text fields
* Sort by any field including linked device Address Book contacts
* Format text fields as tap-able phone numbers, email addresses, and websites
* Add images by selecting from your library or by taking a snapshot
* Create a quick pick list with title and subtitle for the Detail view enabling you to quickly find a record of interest
* Search data quickly with highlighted results
* Email individual record details
* View and Email a detailed summary report for each database
* Format numeric values to use sliders with custom min and max values
* Format Yes/No fields as On/Off or to use custom values for Yes and No
* Preview a field's display style as it is being created or edited
* Choose to have field text fields wrap or truncate
* Set default values for fields
* Add alternating row colors
* Format images by rounding corners and adding shadows
* Supports device orientation
* Large built-in color library
* Create your own color schemes in the color library and add your own custom colors
* Export full databases or filtered records to CSV
* Import from CSV to new or existing databases
* Create, use, and edit system wide pick lists
* Choose to display pick list data in a picker wheel or table list
* Create pick lists from data in other databases
* Includes various templates, such as: Task List, Journal, Sales Orders, Expenses, and Work Log
According to Chris Whittaker of Cobalt Techno, "Maybe you've never heard anyone describe a database app as 'beautiful,' but one look at iDB and you'll see how you can use your creativity to make your custom database more stylish and attractive than you thought possible."
* iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
* Requires iOS 5.0 or later
* Universal app optimized for display on all iOS devices
* 46.1 MB
Pricing and Availability:
iDB 1.0 is and available at the special introductory price of $4.99 (USD) until Dec. 8 when it will be $5.99 through the App Store in the Productivity category. Review copies are available upon request.
Cobalt Techno, Limited is based in Llandudno in North Wales, UK. They are primarily developers of database driven iOS apps. Copyright (C) 2010-2011 Cobalt Techno Limited. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.