Chris Knight - Acutus Trading Ltd.
Keep Track of Carbohydrate Intake with iCarbs App - Great for Diabetics
December 5, 2011 in Health and Fitness
[prMac.com] Revere, Massachusetts - Independent developer James Hollender has released version 2.4 his "iCarbs - iNutrients: Carbohydrates" app for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. The iCarbs app allows users to easily find out how many carbohydrates there are in over 1,100 different food servings which is critical information especially for diabetics who need to restrict their intake of carbohydrates. The new version has been updated to support iOS 5.
The iCarbs app provides information about foods and how they are rated for carbohydrate content. This is given as a means to assist in deciding which foods to eat. In addition to being useful for diabetics, who need to make sure they don't exceed their recommended daily amount of Carbohydrates (carbs), iCarbs will also help bodybuilders get the high intake of carbs they want. The following colors help readily identify which is which:
* Black = Rated extremely high in Carbs (45.01 - 166.46 g)
* Dark Red = Rated very high in Carbs (30.01 - 45.00 g)
* Red = Rated high in Carbs (15.01 - 30.00 g)
* Orange = Rated moderately high in Carbs (12.01 - 15.00 g)
* Yellow = Rated moderate in Carbs (9.01 - 12.00 g)
* Light Green = Rated moderately low in Carbs (6.01 - 9.00 g)
* Green = Rated low in Carbs (3.01 - 6.00 g)
* Cyan = Rated very low in Carbs (0.01 - 3.00 g)
* White = Rated extremely low in Carbs (less than 0.01 g)
There are eight tables listing foods:
* All Foods (includes search capability)
* Fast Foods
* Fruits & Vegetables
* Meat, Fish & Shellfish
* Dairy & Egg
* Cereal Grains & Pasta
The All Foods table includes a search capability to quickly find food servings you are interested in.
Selecting an item in any of the tables will display pertinent information about the selected food serving:
* Food Title
* Weight in grams
* Common Measure, e.g., 1/2 cup, etc.
* Carbohydrate Content
* Percentage of Carbohydrate by Weight
* USDA Description
* USDA Food Group
* USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference ID
Information is derived from the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference: Carbohydrate Content of Selected Foods per Common Measure. There are currently over 1,100 different food servings included, searchable using approximately 2,500 names (some foods are known by different names or how they are prepared, e.g., "Egg, Scrambled" and "Scrambled Egg"). A few of these have as many as six searchable names. The Info page provides additional information about Carbohydrates:
* What are Carbohydrates? - Description of Carbohydrates; Why are Carbohydrates Important?; What are the Types of Carbohydrates?; Complex Carbohydrates; Dietary Fiber; and Simple Carbohydrates
* Carbohydrates and Diabetes - Provides information that can help diabetics get a better understanding of how to deal with Carbohydrates in their diet
* Highest Carbohydrate Foods - Lists 15 different foods containing the highest amounts of Carbohydrates
* How to Use this App - Shows detailed information about how to record the user's personal nutrient intake of Carbohydrates, how to make changes to what the user has recorded, how to backup and restore the data.
* Access My Records - Provides up to a full year of recorded entries, listed and grouped by date. Users may also view each individual entry in the database. Allowances are made for deleting records, changing the date, and also changing the number of servings.
* Other Important Information - Provides access to a copy of the User Agreement, and links to communicate with the developer about bugs, suggestions or comments. There is also an iAd Sampler which allow the user to view up to five iAds at one time. It should be noted that the best selection of iAds comes out at the top of every hour.
* iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
* Requires iOS 4.2 or later
* 4.6 MB
iCarbs is one of 8 apps in the iNutrients collection. Others include:
* iCals - Calories
* iCholesterol - Dietary Cholesterol
* iFiber - Fiber
* iProteins - Proteins
* iSatFat - Saturated Fats
* iSugars - Sugars
* Vitamin K - Vitamins K1, K1D and K2
Pricing and Availability:
The iCarbs app is available in the iTunes App Store for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. The current price is $1.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and can be found in the Health & Fitness & Medical categories. Promo codes are available for qualified reviewers. Please specify the website, blog or organization you represent when making your request.
James Hollender, a well seasoned Information Technology professional, has been familiar with Apple products since the days of the first Macintosh computer and has been involved with object oriented programming since the introduction of Java, culminating most recently writing apps in Objective C for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. His innovative ideas have resulted in numerous suggestion and other awards including a commendation from The President of the United States. Copyright (C) 2011 James Hollender. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.