Maintain releases Cocktail 5.1: Lion Edition
December 7, 2011 in Utility
[prMac.com] Ekero, Sweden - Maintain has announced the release and immediate availability of Cocktail 5.1 (Lion Edition), the latest maintenance update of Cocktail for users running OS X 10.7 Lion.
Cocktail is a general purpose utility for OS X that lets you clean, repair and optimize your Mac. The application serves up a perfect mix of maintenance tools and tweaks, all accessible through a clean and easy to use interface. Cocktail's features are arranged into five categories that helps you manage various aspects of your computer. It also comes with an automatic Pilot mode that allows you to simply press a button and relax, knowing that Cocktail will take care of the rest.
* Added "Disable local snapshots" setting (System - Time Machine). If you are using Time Machine with an external disk on a MacBook, Time Machine will keep a copy of the latest backup on your internal drive. This is done to ensure that all changes to files and documents will be backed up even when you're not connected to your Time Machine disk, however it can take up significant amounts of disk space. Cocktail can disable the local backups (called snapshots) and free up the space used by Time Machine. Warning: By disabling the local Time Machine backups you reduce the effectiveness of your backups and you risk losing data.
* Added "Disable spelling correction" setting (Interface - General). OS X Lion comes with a built in spellchecker and autocorrection system, similar to iOS, which Cocktail can disable.
* Added "Disable Character Picker" setting (Interface - General). In Lion Apple introduced an iOS-style Character Picker to allow easier access to non-standard characters. You can access the character picker by pressing and holding an alphabetic key on your keyboard, however the Picker overrides the keyboard's repeat functionality. By activating this option in Cocktail you disable the Character Picker and restore the repeat function.
* Added "Disable the New Window animation" setting (Interface - General). This disables the zooming animation shown when a new window is displayed on the screen.
* Added "Enable mouse over on stacks" setting (Interface - Dock). When enabled a mouse over effect will appear when hovering over a stack in the Dock.
* Added "Disable Reply animation" setting (Interface - Mail). Mail shows an animation when you reply to an email in Lion. When you activate this option Cocktail disables this animation.
* Added "Disable Send animation" setting (Interface - Mail). Mail shows an animation when you send an email in Lion. When you activate this option Cocktail disables this animation.
* Added "Disable leather skin in Address Book" setting (Interface - Misc). This option disables the leather theme used in Address Book and replaces it with the metal style interface used in Snow Leopard.
* Added "Disable leather skin in iCal" setting (Interface - Misc). This option disables the leather theme used in iCal and replaces it with the metal style interface used in Snow Leopard.
The update also addresses several issues:
* an issue in which Cocktail may freeze when trying to gather disk information
* an issue in which the journaling state of the case-sensitive HFS disks could not be detected
* an issue in which improper permissions were applied to the File Sharing logs during the rotation of these logs and contains other minor improvements as well as updated Help files.
Cocktail 5.1 (Lion Edition) requires OS X / OS X Server 10.7 and is tested for compatibility with OS X / OS X Server 10.7.2. Cocktail (Snow Leopard Edition) for OS X 10.6 and Cocktail (Leopard Edition) for OS X 10.5 are available for download from our website.
Pricing and Availability:
Cocktail is $19 USD for a Single User License and available for purchase from the Maintain website. The license is valid for both Snow Leopard and Lion editions of Cocktail. Cocktail (Leopard Edition) is distributed as freeware and does not require a license.
Maintain develops tailored applications for Mac users. We work towards creating technical solutions which maintain your computer and make it as efficient and easy to use as possible. In addition, we offer comprehensive consultancy and support services which cover everything from operation of existing systems to purchase and implementation of new technical solutions. Among our clients are: Puma, The New York Times, Sony Pictures, Ericsson, Fortum, The City Of Calgary, Peak Performance, Loreal, Harvard University, Los Angeles Times, Swedish Film Institute, Weber, ESPN, Business Week, Swedish National Police Board, Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation, Getty Images, University of Texas, South Park Studios, CompUSA, bwin, Lockheed Martin, Defense Intelligence Agency, University of Michigan and hundred of thousands of Mac users around the world. Copyright (C) 2011 Maintain. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo and Mac are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.