Harlem Travel Guide 1.0 for iOS - In the Top 3 of 325 Interactive Guides
January 10, 2012 in Travel
[prMac.com] New York, New York - Independent developer Carolyn D. Johnson today introduces Harlem Travel Guide 1.0 for iOS, her Travel app featuring more than 360 entries and 2,000 color photos. Released through Sutro World, the world's largest publisher of independently authored travel guides, Harlem Travel Guide is currently ranked in the Top 3 of the company's 325 different international guides. The Guide was originally published in hardcover in 2010, and this ebook version incorporates additional entries and photos. Harlem is the third most visited tourist destination in New York City, and the app provides helpful offline listings, articles, advice, and photos.
Unbeknownst to many visitors, Harlem is three distinct areas: Central Harlem, where African Americans first settled in the early 1890s; East Harlem or El Barrio, which is home to Latinos, with Puerto Ricans first migrating to the enclave after WWI; and West Harlem, which includes a diverse population of African Americans, West Indians, Latinos, and whites. Also included is Washington Heights, location of Morris-Jumel Mansion, which served as George Washington's headquarters during the Revolutionary War.
The co-authors of Harlem Travel Guide for iOS are both homeowners and long-time residents of Harlem. Carolyn D. Johnson operates a tour company, a visitor's center, and a website that carries information about Harlem. All three of these entities operate under the umbrella of Welcome to Harlem. Valerie Jo Bradley operates a PR and special events planning firm and is proprietor of a small guest house in Harlem. In addition to collaborating with other Harlem-based tour companies to develop unique tours of Harlem, she has trained Harlem residents to conduct tours in their neighborhoods. In developing the Harlem Travel Guide, they wanted to bring to light all the cultural diversity, creativity, beauty, and history of an area too long ignored. They knew they were creating a one-of-a-kind travel book about a one-of-a-kind community.
* More than 360 entries with over 2000 photographs
* Entries sorted by name, category, distance, price, and neighborhood
* Live calendar
* Ability to share user comments and mark and save favorites
* Ask the authors questions through in-app comments to get personalized feedback
* YouTube video hyperlinks
* GPS enabled Google maps with walking, driving, and mass transit directions
* Access offline content anytime
* Free upgrades for life
* Nightlife and entertainment from jazz, Latin salsa, opera to classical music
* Theatre, dance, spoken word and more
* Restaurants featuring soul food to French cuisine and everything in between
* Unique ethnic retail shops
* Museums that celebrate various cultures
* Fine art galleries
* Majestic churches and gospel music
* Amazing landmarks
* Parks and free recreational activities
* Guest accommodations
* Free Internet access and Wi-Fi locations
* Authentic tours of Harlem
* Annual events and festivals
* Sales & Deals
Harlem Travel Guide is one of 325 different international destination guides available for use within the Sutro World viewer app. Operating in either portrait or landscape orientation, the viewer app provides interactive access to downloaded guides, each of which is available as an in-app purchase. The expertly designed app features: an integrated web browser to view hyperlinks without leaving the app; a text search function; a photo library; interactive Google street maps; list sorting by Name, Distance, Cost, or Neighborhood; and the ability to filter results by Category.
Easily accessed from the Apple infinite odometer, picker display are the following filter Categories: Everything (All), Accommodations, Baked Goods & Desserts, Bars & Lounges, Churches with Gospel Services, Cosmetics/Salons/Spas, Dining, Educational Institutions, Events, Faith-Based Institutions, Family-Friendly Tourist Sites, Galleries & Museums, Landmarks & Districts, Libraries/Internet/Wi-Fi, Live Entertainment, Neighborhoods, Parks & Recreation, Sales & Deals, Shopping, Sites Not to Miss, Theaters & Cultural Institutions, Things to Do & Tours, Transportation, and Useful Information.
* A trove of information about area museums, galleries, gospel services, cultural institutions, and entertainment venues
* Listings of boutique guest accommodations in historic townhouses that evoke the elegant past of the region
* Performance schedules and information about the men and women who make music a vibrant part of the cultural scene
*A cornucopia of restaurants and eateries specializing in the cuisines of Africa, Latin America, Asia, and America are temptingly surveyed
* Includes detailed information on visitor centers, tourist websites, weather, news, holidays, sales tax, smoking rules, tipping, and transportation to and from airports and in the city
* Full descriptions that include little known cultural and historical facts, websites, phone numbers, hours of operation, prices, menus, and hyperlinks for more information
* Once click to websites, phones, online ordering, online reservations, current menus, and more
"Now, visitors to New York City can enjoy the interactive Harlem Travel Guide on their iDevices," commented author Carolyn D. Johnson. "The app's comprehensive, well-researched information about both contemporary and historic Harlem will appeal to first time visitors as well as established residents."
* iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
* Requires iOS 3.0 or later (iOS 5 tested)
* Universal app optimized for display on all iOS devices
* 70.1 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Harlem Travel Guide 1.0 is $2.99 (USD) and available worldwide exclusively through the Travel app Sutro World, as an in-app purchase. Sutro World 1.3 for iOS is available as a free download in the Travel category of the App Store and offers 325 different travel destination guides as in-app purchases.
Based in New York, Welcome to Harlem was founded by Carolyn D. Johnson in 2005. Welcome To Harlem is known as the premier visitor center in Harlem, which provides authentic walking, bus, and custom tours. Welcome to Harlem is a member of NYC & Company, New York's official tourism agency. Copyright (C) 2005-2012 Welcome to Harlem. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other trademarks and registered trademarks may be the property of their respective owners.