Marked 1.4 - Smart Tools for Smart Writers
April 9, 2012 in Utility
[prMac.com] Winona, Minnesota - Brett Terpstra today is pleased to announce the release of Marked v1.4, available in the Mac App Store. Marked is a viewer for Markdown and MultiMarkdown files which can track changes in the file and update the preview automatically every time the file is saved. It adds a full Markdown preview to any text editor and improves on existing editors' built-in previews. Edit when you like, where you like with a consistent preview, toolset and output options. Marked allows for HTML export, printing, save to PDF, copying HTML source directly to the clipboard, Rich Text copy and export, document and readability statistics, and more.
* Option to scroll to current edit point when changes are detected
* Syntax highlighting/cleaner display for HTML source view
* Updated Markdown reference, including MultiMarkdown syntax
* Table of contents is fully keyboard navigable
* Type-ahead field with QuickSilver-style matching to filter the table of contents
* Improvements to existing preview styles, plus two new styles (Amblin and Upstanding Citizen)
* Set per-document default styles using a metadata header "Marked Style:"
* More verbose link and footnote previews on hover
* Popover on external links when held momentarily after click
* Copy URL/Validate link/Open in default browser
* Option to disable header ID generation
* Scrivener 2.0+ support with full document previews and live updates and support for "preserved formatting" and inline footnotes
* Leanpub and mmd_merge support for merging multiple documents in preview/export
* Options and syntax for forcing page breaks in Print/Print to PDF
* Syntax for including external files and source code (included files are also watched for changes)
* Updated Github style for accurate Readme previews
* Github-style line break option
* Automatic syntax highlighting option for code blocks in preview
* Improved custom processor setup and argument handling
* Filename and extension are passed as environment variables to custom scripts, allowing for different processors based on filetype
* CLI for running Marked from the command line
Marked has received tremendous reviews on the Mac App Store, and writers of all kinds have responded with great enthusiasm. Several users have reported that Marked was the tool that helped them finally "get" Markdown and put it into active use in their notetaking and writing. Peruse the reviews on both the App Store page and on the Marked website.
* MacStories: "I've been increasingly using TextEdit with Marked for writing everything that shows up on the website."
* Minimal Mac: "This is a godsend."
* One Thing Well: "If you write in Markdown on the Mac, you need this."
* Merlin Mann: "I'd marry Brett if Marked agreed to be the Best Man."
* Daring Fireball: "Clever idea, nicely presented."
* Mac OS X 10.7 or later
* 6.7 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Marked 1.4 is $3.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Productivity category. Version 1.4 is a free update for existing customers. A stable 10.6 version is being made available for download for free to existing customers and will receive bugfixes as necessary. Feel free to request a promo code from Brett.
During the day, Brett works as Tech Lead for a web development team. He spends his evenings and free time experimenting with and building applications for Mac platforms. He's probably most well-known for his fork of Notational Velocity, nvALT, and for his early social media application MoodBlast. Copyright (C) 2012 Brett Terpstra. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, and Macintosh are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.