September 20, 2012 in Productivity (E)
[prMac.com] Cary, North Carolina - Remoter Labs announces the release of Remoter VNC 3.8.0 for iPhone and iPad, an update of their productivity app that enables users to remotely control Macs via Screen Sharing, and Windows or Linux computers using the VNC or RDP standards right from their iOS devices, and with full external keyboard support. The app uses Bonjour and NetBIOS to make setup a cinch, and it features a novel and highly praised "virtual trackpad" that allows to control the mouse cursor intuitively. RemoterFusion, which provides sound redirection and easy setup, RDP, Telnet, SSH, a password manager and a new grid-based UI are available as in-app purchases.
Version 3.8.0 adds support for iOS 6 and the new iPhone 5. Other enhancements include a CloudSync Manager, which allows users to backup and restore their sessions using Dropbox, a Categories Manager to easily rename and delete categories, and engine updates, like new support for Windows 8!
The app offers one of the fastest implementations of the VNC and RDP protocols on the iOS platform, full support for external keyboards and retina display support on the iPhone 4, 4S and the new iPad. Full advantage of the taller screen on the new iPhone 5 is also supported. Operation is intuitive, with a well thought out interface that allows users to either tap on the screen and have taps converted into clicks on the remote system, or use a unique "virtual trackpad" that gives users precise control, and ease of use. A drag or stylus mode on the iPad version is also provided, which gives users the ability of easily dragging items, or drawing on their computers directly from their iPad just by using their fingers or a stylus.
Setup is ultra-simple with the optional RemoterFusion add-on. Port-forwarding and/or dynamic DNS is no longer needed in order to establish connections from outside the computer's network. This add-on also provides sound redirection, which allows listening to music tracks, or any sound playing remotely on the computer from the iOS device. RemoterFusion is optional and can be tested for free for 24 hours.
Otherwise, local session set-up is still simple, all the computers from the WiFi network are found using both the Bonjour and NetBIOS standards. The user then taps on the desired connection, and all queried information such as computer name, IP address, service port, and more auto-populates the set-up screen. The user then only needs to enter the VNC password to complete setup.
The RDP add-on allows connecting to Windows (including the latest Windows 8 builds) computers that include an RDP server (Remote Desktop Protocol). This allows connecting to these machines without having to install a server, as is the case with VNC.
Via the SSH add-on, the app allows users to establish secure and tunneled VNC, or RDP if the RDP add-on is also used, connections to their computer desktop. This add-on also gives users the ability of establishing terminal connections to any SSH server. Featuring full terminal control, including special keys such as Control, Alt, F1-F14. Terminal support implements font foreground and background color, a terminal buffer, and clicking. SSH authentication includes both passwords and private/public key support. A fully featured SSH Key manager allows users to create SSH keys using RSA or DSA. Passphrases can also be set, and independent SSH keys can be used for each SSH session.
The SSH add-on also gives users the ability of create up to five TCP tunnels. The tunnels can then be accessed while the app is in the background by any other app on the iOS device. Providing a VPN connection to the SSH server. Background connections can stay active for a full ten minutes.
The Telnet add-on enables users to connect to server computers using the Telnet protocol. Like with SSH, the app provides full color support, a terminal buffer, and special keys. Both the SSH and Telnet add-ons allow for selection of text which is then synchronized with the device's pasteboard, and can then be pasted within the application, or into any other app.
The app features a connection selection interface that is controlled by swiping on the iOS device to graphically select the desired connection. For professional users that have many connections, a "Session Selection" screen is also available. This option presents a list view of all available connections. Sessions can be sorted by name, type or usage.
Wake-on-LAN support is also built-in, when the server session is setup using Bonjour or NetBIOS, the MAC address is automatically populated. Otherwise the field is provided to allow the user to populate it manually. Wake-on-LAN can then be sent either from the main screen of the app, or via the session selection screen. Macros can also be created and run. Macro support is included for VNC, RDP, SSH and Telnet sessions, and a Macros manager allows for renaming and deleting of existing macros.
The app is extremely configurable, and supports both landscape and portrait mode, full-screen mode, a smooth pinch-to-zoom interface. Pasteboard synchronization is also supported for all connection modes. Full external keyboard support, either USB or Bluetooth is also provided.
Sessions can be stored and restored using the new CloudSync manager. The sessions can be restored on any device owned by the user. Cloud storage is handled by Dropbox.
What's New in Version 3.8.0:
* Added support for iOS6 and iPhone5. Full height of iPhone5 is taken advantage of: more real state for your session, but also bigger special keys, more session icons (grid), etc when used in landscape mode
* Updates to VNC and RDP engines: Windows 8 Release Preview and Release Candidate support
* CloudSync Manager: Use Dropbox to backup and restore your sessions
* Categories Manager: Rename and Delete categories from one easy place
* Localization updates for Spanish, German, Italian
* New Localization for Nowegian
* Faster sessions thanks to some optimizations and hardware acceleration
* Updated artwork
* Better Retina Display support. Also, an option in Remoter Config now gives you better control over Retina
* Instant session disconnect! No more waiting; the disconnection is now sent to the background
* General refactoring, and core enhancements
* Splash screens
* Fixed problem with password encryption for UTF8 international characters
* iPhone custom RDP resolution selection fixed
* Fix problem with terminal sessions on Retina iOS devices losing retina zoom levels when going into/and out of FullScreen
* Prompt user when switching auto screenshots off if they want to delete the current screenshots
* Dismiss keyboard when going from a connection to the session list
* Fix for multiple concurrent RDP session issues
* AutoReconnect now requires connection to have been up for at least 30 seconds. This prevents quick-reconnect-loop
* Fast VNC protocol 3.8 supported. Compatible with Mac Screen Sharing, the latest UltraVNC for Windows and Linux VNC servers
* Full external keyboard support (including special keys such as Command, Control, Alt, Escape and Function keys)
* Support for sound/music redirection from your Mac and easy setup without port-forwarding / dynamic DNS with RemoterFusion add-on
* Support for RDP, SSH, Telnet, VNC over SSH, RDP over SSH, and arbitrary SSH port tunnels via In-App purchases
* Novel Virtual TrackPad allows for precise and intuitive control! right-click, and dragging. Scroll with a side-scroller bar! Three trackpad modes
* SSH supports public-key authentication. Included SSH Key management system to generate, email, copy to pasteboard the SSH keys
* Support for recording and running Macros
* UltraVNC MS Login Authentication Support, Server-Side Scaling and Multiple Monitor support
* Wake-on-Lan Support
* Bonjour and NetBIOS computer discovery
* Intuitive Pinch to Zoom and drag to scroll. Also presets: "Fit Height", "Fit Width" and "1:1"
* Special Keys: Including: Esc, Tab, Alt, Up, Down, Right, Left, PageUp, PageDown, F1..F12, Control-Alt-Delete, Command, Windows-key, etc.
* Clipboard synchronization (Paste is universal, but copy requires server support)
* Universal Binary: iPhone, iPad and iPod touch! Buy once, run on all your devices! iOS firmware versions (4.3 - 6)
* Supports Landscape and Portrait orientations and FullScreen mode
* Session backup and restore using Dropbox
English, Bokmal, Norwegian, German, Italian, Spanish
* iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
* iOS 4.3 or later (iOS 6 included)
* Universal app optimized for display on all iOS devices
* 23.0 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Remoter VNC 3.8 is now at the special price of $2.99 (USD) with free lifetime upgrades, and is available worldwide through the App Store in the Productivity category. In-app purchases are available that enhance the functionality of Remoter VNC. The RDP add-on is $3.99. The RemoterFusion add-on is $2.99. The SSH add-on is $1.99. The Telnet add-on is $1.99. Grid UI add-on is $0.99. Password Manager add-on is $0.99. The Remoter Complete add-on is on sale for $5.99 and includes all other add-ons plus free lifetime upgrades for all new and revised add-ons. Review copies are available upon request.
Located in Cary, North Carolina, Remoter Labs was founded by Raf Cabezas in May, 2010. The company seeks to produce high quality software while maintaining a very low price point. Copyright (C) 2011-2012 Remoter Labs. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod, and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. VNC is a registered trademark of RealVNC Ltd.