October 13, 2015 in Education (F)
[prMac.com] New York, New York - We're Smigin – a team of linguists, creatives and frequent travelers who have struggled with language barriers firsthand. We’ve studied foreign languages the traditional way and tried a bunch of other self-taught products, but most were slow-paced, grammar-heavy and focused on words and phrases that aren't really useful in real life. We knew there had to be a better way...
Last year, we released the Smigin Travel app (on iOS and Android), a multilingual support tool that has helped over 125,000 users around the world build useful phrases in another language instantly. Smigin Travel empowers jet-setters to confidently engage with locals while traveling, from checking in at the airport to navigating a new city, even without a network connection.
We’re determined to create a better language learning experience that uses the same process of baking in the nuances of grammar and focusing on real-life conversation and travel. The language learning industry is cluttered with companies that recycle old techniques and teach random words that aren't useful in everyday situations.
Smigin Pro, now available on Kickstarter, is different. We're changing the way people think about language learning.
Learn words you actually need:
Most language courses start with random words like “boy” or “cat,” but those aren’t very relevant to everyday situations. Instead, start by picking a section like “Café” or “Hotel” and learn practical words you can instantly apply to real life.
Useful phrases for real conversation:
Channel your inner jet-setter with conversational phrases that get you speaking right away – without the hassle of grammar rules. Besides, you shouldn't need to master conjugation to be able to order a cappuccino!
Keep practicing to make it stick:
Engage in a variety of practice sessions that help you retain what you’ve learned. You’ll grow your vocabulary and learn to build more sentences as you go.
Meet Smigin Chat:
This is our favorite part: practice conversations with a virtual “local” just as you would in real life. Prepping for a week in Madrid or Milan? Smigin Chat is the closest you’ll get to the real thing before buying a plane ticket!
What you'll get:
* Initially available in Spanish and Italian, with three more languages in production. (Mandarin, French, Portuguese)
* Build a vocabulary of over 1,000 words in your target language.
* Hear and practice over 500 useful phrases – and learn how to make your own using what you already know!
* Listen to audio recorded by native speakers and practice speaking by viewing each phrase written phonetically.
* Use cultural videos shot on-site to provide context and supplement learning.
* Engage in a variety of practice exercises to prep for real life conversation.
* Practice what you've learned with hundreds of realistic conversations that you'll have abroad.
* Available on multiple operating systems: iOS, Android, Mac, and Windows.
* Support from our team – any questions or feedback along the way? Feel free to let us know any time! We're here to help.
Smigin was founded in 2012 by Susan O'Brien, and their first product, the Smigin Travel App, launched in early 2014. After years of traveling, O'Brien knew there must be an easier way to speak another language besides carrying around bulky grammar books, or struggling through hours of seemingly useless lessons. Smigin is currently made up of a small team of linguists, creatives, and travelers based in New York City. Copyright (C) 2015 Smigin. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPad and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.