March 23, 2011 in Education (E)
[prMac.com] Redmond, Washington - Sean Berry is pleased today to announce Algebra Touch 1.2 for iOS, an update to his educational app for learning and practicing algebra. The app update incorporates additional lesson content, with new support for distribution, factoring out expressions, and the associated complexity boost which comes from them. Algebra Touch features 20 interactive lesson topics and supporting practice problems and the ability to create unlimited new problems. All actions and responses are touch activated and animated. The update includes language support for English, Spanish, German and French.
People are inherently curious, and derive pleasure and satisfaction from mastering new skills and knowledge. Algebra Touch enables the excitement of learning through simplified, interactive, programmed instruction, and employment of styling and functionality usually reserved for electronic gaming.
The principles and problem solving capabilities of algebra are, in themselves, fascinating. By simply facilitating the process of discovery, Algebra Touch makes math fun.
On launch in landscape orientation, the app displays in large white numerals on a black radial gradient "3+5." Beneath is a gray band with the instruction "Tap the + to add 3 and 5." Tapping the plus sign runs an animation where the numerals are reduced in opacity, the plus sign disappears, and the "3" and "5" move toward each other with only an "8" remaining onscreen.
The instruction is accompanied by a "Show Me" button, which will automatically demonstrate the app's method of executing operations by tapping the operator. Immediately, positive reinforcement and further explication appears "Very good! Adding is a form of 'simplifying" - that is, making the expression more simple and less complicated."
* Appropriate for learning or reviewing of algebra
* For students of any age or gender
* Enjoy the wonderful conceptual leaps of algebra, without the tedium of traditional methods
* Drag to rearrange, tap to simplify, and draw lines to eliminate identical terms
* Distribute by tapping and sliding, Factor Out by dropping terms on one another
* Easily switch between lessons and randomly generated practice problems
* Users may create their own problems or edit current ones
* Topics include: Simplification, Like Terms, Commutativity, and Order of Operations
* Additional topics: Factorization, Prime Numbers, Elimination, and Isolation
* Advanced topics: Variables, Solving Equations, Distribution, Factoring Out, and 'More Advanced'
* Features external display support with optional 30-pin, external display cable
* Version 1.2 permits picking up sums and products, transposing them across the equation, and eliminating them in quotients
* Language support for English, Spanish, German and French
From here, the user may choose "Back" to review, or "Next" to continue. Further developing the concept of algebraic simplification, the app goes on to cover such topics as: terms, negatives, multiplication, order of operations, factorization, and crossing out (eliminating) terms in fractions. On this foundation Algebra Touch goes on to explore variables, and solving simple and complex equations.
"I'm 48 and I've wanted to learn Algebra my whole life ... Tried all kinds of books, to no avail. Your app works for me. I'm so excited ... A whole new world opens up. Thank you so much, S. Grace"
* iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch
* iOS 4.0 or later
* 3.2 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Algebra Touch 1.2 is $2.99 (USD) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Education category. Review copies are available upon request.
Located in Redmond, Washington in the greater Seattle area, Regular Berry Software is an LLC shell for Sean Berry. He creates custom iPhone apps. Copyright (C) 2011 Regular Berry Software. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.