July 21, 2011 in Education (E)
[prMac.com] Sophia Antipolis, France - Award-winning children's app developer, L'Escapadou today is pleased to announce the release of Word Wizard, the first educational app that fully exploits a text to speech engine to help kids learn word building and spelling. Kids can now build any word or sentence using a Movable Alphabet and immediately hear the text they wrote, as well as verify spelling using the built-in spell checker. The app also features fun spelling quizzes including 173 word lists of 10 words each, and the possibility to create custom word lists.
Word Wizard has already been acclaimed by beta users:
"I love the talking alphabet. The verbal feedback helps children decide if the letter they chose is indeed the letter intended. The voice reads whatever words the child creates, which gives another opportunity for children to self-correct if the word does not sound like the word the child wrote. The app supports letter recognition, phonological awareness, spelling and self-correction without sacrificing fun. I will certainly recommend it to early educators." - Mary Ellin Logue, Ed.D - Associate Professor, Early Childhood Education,University of Maine
"We're very pleased with the feedback from beta users" said Pierre Abel, founder of L'Escapadou, "We have selected one of the best text to speech engine to create this app, and we did a lot of iterations to get the best user experience for children so that they can explore and learn the wonderful world of words while having fun"
The talking Movable Alphabet has the following features and options:
* Spell checker highlights unrecognized words
* American and British voices
* Optional magnetic grid to ease letters placement
* Voice Transformer (speed, tone) for added fun
* Reads all the words as a sentence
* Uppercase or lowercase letters
* Phonics or letter names when a letter is touched in the alphabet
* 2 backgrounds
Word Wizard also features hundreds of fun spelling quizzes using the talking Movable Alphabet. Features of this activity are:
* 173 word lists of 10 words: Dolch Words, 1000 most frequently Used Words, body parts, family members, etc.
* Create custom word lists by entering your own words and sentences, and even share your lists
* Hints are available if kids don't know how to spell a word
* Nice animations are displayed when a word is completed
* Once a quiz is completed, a report is displayed and fun interactive animations are available as a reward
* Compatible with iPad, iPhone and iPod touch
* Requires iOS 4.0 or later
* 161 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Word Wizard 1.0 is $2.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Education category.
L'Escapadou is an award-winning family design studio dedicated to creating fun, creative and educational apps for iPad and iPhone, and was recognized as Editor's Choice by Moms With Apps. Montessori Crosswords, L'Escapadou's top selling app , has won the Children's Technology Review Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design. Pierre Abel holds a PhD in computer science and has extensively worked on user experience design. His wife, a translator currently busy home-educating their daughters, helps in the design of educational apps. Watching their kids - 5 and 8 years-old - learn and play is their main source of inspiration for the apps they make. The studio was founded in 2010 after the launch of the iPad with the belief that the iPad can be a great tool for learning and creativity. Copyright (C) 2011 L'Escapadou. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.