CrumplePop Releases Dale Grahn Color for iPad
January 24, 2013 in Photo and Video
[prMac.com] Minneapolis, Minnesota - CrumplePop has announced the release of Dale Grahn Color, an iPad app that helps photographers and filmmakers learn the powerful techniques of film color timers. Designed by legendary film color timer Dale Grahn (Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, Munich), the app lets you watch as Dale masterfully shapes color, density, and saturation to create stunning images.
Leaving behind color wheels, scopes, and other digital conveniences, Dale challenges you to re-create his color grade by eye - learning to "think color". The iPad app lets you use simple, analog-style controls to practice with Dale, and then use the same controls to work with any photo in your iOS album. With Dale Grahn Color, you can:
* Learn and practice Dale's techniques. Can you match the master? See how Dale shaped the image, and then try to re-create the look yourself. Learn to "think color" using the same simple controls that Dale used to create the look of Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, and dozens of other films. 21 lessons, 3 difficulty levels.
* Try out your new skills on your own photos. Use the same powerful interface to work with any photo in your iOS photo album. Amaze your friends, delight your clients, and frustrate your rivals.
* Get instant scoring and stats. Complete a color challenge with Dale, and immediately find out how you did. See what you missed, and what devious tricks Dale had up his sleeve.
* Watch 20 exclusive video tutorials with Dale Grahn. Can't quite figure out how Dale did it? Look over his shoulder as he describes, step by step, his approach to the image and why he did what he did. It's an unusual opportunity to watch a craftsman at work.
"I wanted to bring all of my film color timing experience to the digital world and start from there," said Dale Grahn. "The digital world gave me tools that I did not have before, and that would have been very useful in fixing many problems that were very hard or impossible with film. I saw them as a blessing. But the digital tools never gave me reason to change the way I looked at an image. They did give me, however, more possibilities and more directions to go in. Yet another blessing."
"We are honored to be working with Dale Grahn," said Gabriel Cheifetz, co-founder of CrumplePop. "No matter how sophisticated our digital workflow is, we always hold film to be a medium that's somehow just a bit beyond us. Working with Dale over the last year has been invigorating, and we look forward to bringing his techniques to a new generation of filmmakers and photographers."
About Dale Grahn:
As the long-time color timer for Steven Spielberg, and with hundreds of major film credits, Dale Grahn shaped much of the look of modern cinema. Some notable credits include Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, Bram Stoker's Dracula, The Lion King, Die Hard, Munich, and Amistad.
* Compatible with iPad
* Requires iOS 5.1 or later
* 44.2 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Dale Grahn Color 1.0 is $3.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Photo & Video category. You can find us on Facebook (CrumplePop) and Twitter (@crumplepop).
CrumplePop is a leading provider of film and broadcast effects for Final Cut Pro X. Founded in 2009, CrumplePop developed a popular suite of third-party effects for Final Cut Pro 6/7 before moving to Final Cut Pro X in June of 2011. CrumplePop customers include BBC, MTV, DreamWorks, CNN, FOX, Sony Music, and smaller studios around the world. Copyright 2009-2013 CrumplePop. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPad and Final Cut Studio are registered trademarks of Apple Computer in the U.S. and/or other countries.