June 8, 2010 in Multimedia (F)
[prMac.com] Boston, Mass - Boris FX, the leading developer of integrated effects technology for video and film, today announced Boris RED Version 5. Boris RED is an integrated 3D compositing, titling, and effects application designed for Adobe, Apple, Avid, Grass Valley, Media 100, and Sony video editing software. Boris RED 5 introduces support for 64-bit applications such as Adobe CS5 and Sony Vegas 9, adds 30 new filters, and provides a score of new user interface and workflow enhancements including ergonomic panels, a curve editor, and a spreadsheet-style keyframe editor window.
"Boris RED Version 5 brings RED's award-wining 3D compositing, titling, and effects capabilities to 64-bit video editing applications," commented Boris Yamnitsky, president and founder, Boris FX. "30 new filters cover many common post-production tasks including 3-way color grading, the ability to uprez SD video to HD, video noise reduction, and a range of image restoration tools."
Boris RED 5 New Feature Highlights:
* New Support for 64-bit Video Editing Applications. Boris RED 5 will support Adobe CS5, CS4, and CS3 under 64-bit and 32-bit Macintosh and Windows operating systems and Sony Vegas 9 under 64-bit and 32-bit Windows operating systems.
* New 3 Way Color Grade Filter provides a professional color grading process complete with three custom color wheels for pedestal/gamma/gain adjustment.
* New Noise Reduction Filter smoothes out video noise using spatial and temporal information derived from the video clip - especially in dark areas of an image.
* New UpRez Filter for high-quality SD to HD conversions, facilitating the resizing of image clips while minimizing the data loss that is usually associated with resizing media in a host application. The UpRez filter includes several high-end image processing algorithms to enhance the sharpness and smoothness of the final result.
* New Pixel Fixer Filter removes bad pixels resulting from a faulty digital camera sensor or dust on a camera lens. Up to 10 bad spots can be repaired with a single filter application - without any degradation of image quality or sharpness.
* New DV Fixer Filter softens or removes diagonal stair-step lines from a clip captured with a lower-quality camera - without degrading image sharpness or quality.
* New Smooth Tone Filter smoothes or softens an image while preserving detail contrast, making skin tones silky-smooth without loss of sharpness in the image.
* New Lens Blur Filter emulates a popular lens blur or rack defocus effect where out-of-focus highlights of an image clip take on the shape of the lens shutter.
* New MatchMove Filter allows users to combine motion tracking with transformation and compositing of a layer. Users can lock the movement of one image clip to another image clip using Boris RED's built-in motion tracking capability.
* New LED Filter makes an image, clip, or text element with alpha appear as though it was constructed out of an array of blinking or solid LED lights.
* New Prism Filter simulates the photographic effect of chromatic aberration in which a bad lens generates prismatic color fringing along edges of high contrast within the image.
* New Scan Lines Filter generates rolling RGB scanlines over the source image clip, emulating the effect of a computer monitor which was shot on video tape or film. The filter also includes a user-controlled noise generator function for added realism.
* New Damaged TV Filter emulates the appearance of a CRT-style television that is receiving a bad antenna signal or is in need of repair - complete with gun offset, distorted edges, image roll, noise, scan lines, and interference lines.
* New Turbulence Filter generates auto-animated gel-like distortion fields in an image clip based on input from the built-in noise map and turbulence controls.
* Other New Filters include Lens Shape, Warp, Morph, Video Morph, Pencil Sketch, Charcoal Sketch, Cartoon Look, Water Color, Tile Mosaic, Lightning, and Color Choker.
* User Interface and Workflow Enhancements include drag-and-drop panels, a curve editor for smooth parameter animation, and a spreadsheet-style keyframe editor window.
Pricing and Availability:
Boris RED 5 will be available in Q3 2010 for an MSRP of $995 USD. Owners of previous versions of Boris RED may upgrade for an MSRP of $295 USD. Customers who purchase Boris RED 4.3 as of June 2, 2010 will be eligible to receive a free upgrade to Boris RED 5.
Founded in 1995, Boris FX is the leading developer of integrated graphics and effects technology, delivering 3D compositing and vector graphic products for broadcast, post-production, film, and multimedia. Boris products have grown to serve millions of artists worldwide. The company's success lies in its ability to integrate and leverage technologies through strong partnerships with industry-leading developers such as Adobe, Apple, Autodesk, Avid, Grass Valley, and Sony.